Reponse to "I'll just shoot myelf if I get like that"

JJ2713

Guru
If a client says "I don't need LTC because if I ever get like that, I'll just shoot myself" (or kill themselves in some other way). And they're pretty serious too.

And I'm not just saying they respond this way simply because you brought up LTC out of the blue. Let's say you actually gave a thorough presentation on retirement planning, with LTC planning included.

So, when you eventually get around to the LTC planning, that's how they respond.

How do you respond to this? Have you heard this from a client?

Some people really believe they wont need LTC or simply don't want to get it. I know its difficult to imagine yourself getting like that (being unable to care for yourself).

If a client says "I don't need LTC because if I ever get like that, I'll just shoot myself" (or kill themselves in some other way). And they're pretty serious too.

And I'm not just saying they respond this way simply because you brought up LTC out of the blue. Let's say you actually gave a thorough presentation on retirement planning, with LTC planning included.

So, when you eventually get around to the LTC planning, that's how they respond.

How do you respond to this? Have you heard this from a client?

There are a lot of people who are really interested in LTC insurance. The real obsticals are over the cost of a good policy or getting them qualified through underwriting.

You have found someone that is not interested. I would ask one or two more questions to see if they are joking around or if they are truly serious. I would probably say “Are you being serious right now?”

Some people are just real uncomfortable talking about their own death or their own deterioration from age and they will often make morbid comments or jokes. That’s normal and you can work through their fear and help them. But others just build up a wall with their unrealistic plan and won’t budge. With them just stop presenting. You aren’t going to sell them.

If they continue on, they are strongly letting you know they are not a prospect for LTC. You can’t sell life insurance to someone that doesn’t have a desire to leave money to someone upon their death. You can’t sell health insurance to someone that doesn’t care if their hospital bills ever get paid. And you can’t sell LTC insurance to someone who doesn’t want to live as long as they have some quality of life.

Let's get practical about this: You have to be unable to perform 2 out of 7 ADLs. If you can't move yourself to the toilet, eat, or manage your own medications... do you really think you can handle a firearm to shoot straight at your intended target?

You'd probably miss, if you could fire it in the first place. And what would you hit instead? Probably the person who would be trying to care for you. Now you'd be doubly screwed.

Let's get practical about this: You have to be unable to perform 2 out of 7 ADLs. If you can't move yourself to the toilet, eat, or manage your own medications... do you really think you can handle a firearm to shoot straight at your intended target?

You'd probably miss, if you could fire it in the first place. And what would you hit instead? Probably the person who would be trying to care for you. Now you'd be doubly screwed.

Or you could just beat your head against the wall...

I'd go with Newby's or Jack's approach. Get real serious, or make a joke about it too, and then get back to being serious and find out which it is.

Newby is spot on here. Either they are uncomfortable about the topic and are making a joke to relieve the stress, or they just truly don't believe they need it and they'll handle it some other way.

The first need and want your help, the second it is time to leave.

With LTC I would qualify up front that LTC is something they are concerned about. Waiting until the end of a presentation it is too easy to deny its not important, IMO.

I have a slightly used 9mm pistol for sale if you need it... The last person to own it didn't want to go to the NH either. :goofy:

No one does, which is what is so great about LTCi. You can actually stay in your own home longer.

But I'm not going to try to out-rational someone who says "I'll just shoot myself." You don't respond to a completely irrational statement with logic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back