Report Ranks Most Uninsured Cities, States

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
If you are curious about how your city or state compares to others in terms of the uninsured persons rate for health insurance, check out the rankings in the link below – which lists the 10 states as well as the 10 cities with the lowest and highest rates of uninsured citizens.

Texas is the runaway leader for the most uninsured, with 17.1% of the Lone Star state’s people lacking health insurance – which also explains why 8 of the 10 cities with the highest rate of uninsured citizens are in Texas. In Massachusetts, on the other hand, only 2.82% of the state’s residents lack health insurance.

Complete listings for all 50 states and 548 different cities can be accessed in links within the article.

Anything terribly surprising in these rankings?

Insurance Forums | Massachusetts has lowest rate of uninsured residents, Texas highest in rankings by WalletHub

Funny, it seems like the states correspond to political leanings. I would be interested to see if the rates hold true for auto insurance, to see if it's really an attitude thing, or if it's a boycott of "Obamacare"...

You are mistaking correlation for causation. I would bet that the distribution of uninsured was roughly the same before Obamacare started.

You are mistaking correlation for causation. I would bet that the distribution of uninsured was roughly the same before Obamacare started.

Well I'm sure that's true, I also think that there is some politics at play here. How many people were unable to sign up for the ACA due to politics?

Please don't take that as the start of a flame war. It's just one man's persnal opinion.

I'm only mistaking correlation for causation if your bet is true...

I live in a Southern state and while we weren't bottom 10, I remember what it was like. Everyone was trying to get Tenncare. It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with income and priorities.

Also, many Southern states did not expand Medicaid, which helped with uninsured numbers in the states that did.

Here is something from 2005, pre-ACA.

Page 34 in the PDF, numbered 27 in the report shows uninsured by state. I did not spend a lot of time reviewing it, but it does appear the states that have the highest and lowest in 2005 and 2015 are very similar. One thing I do notice, the percentages have dropped considerably. So from the standpoint of getting more people covered, ACA succeeded. Now, is the cure worse than the disease? That is a different question.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...E3jZABeBw&sig2=OTp9XOFYqJedzbqGCvC-Cg&cad=rja

If you are curious about how your city or state compares to others in terms of the uninsured persons rate for health insurance, check out the rankings in the link below – which lists the 10 states as well as the 10 cities with the lowest and highest rates of uninsured citizens.

Texas is the runaway leader for the most uninsured, with 17.1% of the Lone Star state’s people lacking health insurance – which also explains why 8 of the 10 cities with the highest rate of uninsured citizens are in Texas. In Massachusetts, on the other hand, only 2.82% of the state’s residents lack health insurance.

Complete listings for all 50 states and 548 different cities can be accessed in links within the article.

Anything terribly surprising in these rankings?

Insurance Forums | Massachusetts has lowest rate of uninsured residents, Texas highest in rankings by WalletHub

Interesting survey. I wonder if Texas is the lowest because of illegals? (not trying to be political---but its just a thought)

Back