Republicans Offer Better Tax Credit Alternative

Offering a "refundable credit" implies the APTC will only be available at tax filing time........this won't win the Republicans any favor with folks who need their APTC on a monthly basis to make coverage affordable.............

Offering a "refundable credit" implies the APTC will only be available at tax filing time........this won't win the Republicans any favor with folks who need their APTC on a monthly basis to make coverage affordable.............

Agreed, And I have yet to hear the Republican Party handle the Pre-Existing Condition issue guaranteeing health coverage to everyone at an affordable rate. So until they can solve the APTC need and Guaranteed Affordable Insurance issue I think all they will be able to do is slowly fix and adjust the current law.

guaranteeing health coverage to everyone at an affordable rate.

Is what we have now considered affordable? To those with a tax credit, yes. To those of us without a tax credit, not so much. My premiums doubled and coverage didn't improve. I'm fortunate to be able to afford the higher premiums, but there are a lot of people who aren't as fortunate. And I would much rather be paying what I was paying before my pre-ACA plan was terminated.

Is what we have now considered affordable? To those with a tax credit, yes. To those of us without a tax credit, not so much. My premiums doubled and coverage didn't improve. I'm fortunate to be able to afford the higher premiums, but there are a lot of people who aren't as fortunate. And I would much rather be paying what I was paying before my pre-ACA plan was terminated.

You need a better agent......

I'm getting better rates, but overall I can't imagine what I'm paying in taxes to cover the subsidies for other folks isn't making it a net negative for me.

Everything in this article implies to me that at tax time, they'll calculate eligibility, determine your subsidy/refund, and then withhold your subsidy unless you select a health plan. If you do, last year's return/credit is used to pay for this year's coverage. I can't see them lump-sum crediting at tax time, the whole point of this system was to provide the month-to-month cash flow to help pay premium.

It would no longer be "advanced" like it is now. It'll technically be a credit, not a subsidy, as stated in the article.

Should help cash flows, and the country's finance in general (time value of money/interest earned for millions of people's subsidies is a big number), as well as making people feel safer because there's no chance of a clawback.

Back