Resigning As a Farmers Agent

SoDone

I am seriously considering leaving Farmers but have heard they require a 90 day notice. After 4 years of stress and hard work, I'm ready to throw in the towel. I am fully aware I will owe subsidy back but I am in a position where I cannot give this anymore energy.
Has anyone had a bad experience doing this? Any wording that might be recommended? Any tips? Please help!!

Give your notice. Don't say much, just say your heart isn't in it right now. They will probably want much less then a 90 day notice.

If they do want 90 days, it doesn't mean you have to work the 90, but you do have to take care of your clients. Keeping your clients happy is important.

I hear Farmers will work out a payment schedule on the subsidy, not easily, but they will.

Dan

Do you get vacation time at Farmers? Maybe you just need a break... However, after I left a captive position I was in for 6 years, it sure felt good!!!

I am seriously considering leaving Farmers but have heard they require a 90 day notice. After 4 years of stress and hard work, I'm ready to throw in the towel. I am fully aware I will owe subsidy back but I am in a position where I cannot give this anymore energy.
Has anyone had a bad experience doing this? Any wording that might be recommended? Any tips? Please help!!

All the best to you.
Feel free to contact me through my website if you want to discuss some less stressful options!
I help agents with advice as to the agency network type options that might be available to them. I do not charge agents for this service.

It's rough sometimes.

QUOTE=SoDone;1130306]I am seriously considering leaving Farmers but have heard they require a 90 day notice. After 4 years of stress and hard work, I'm ready to throw in the towel. I am fully aware I will owe subsidy back but I am in a position where I cannot give this anymore energy.
Has anyone had a bad experience doing this? Any wording that might be recommended? Any tips? Please help!![/QUOTE]

I wonder what the justification is for a "90 day notice"? Most sales positions are immediate termination and that "giving notice" is nice, but certainly not necessary.

I assume it's to find a new agent to take over the office, office expenses, and policyholders?

Yes, I've heard they will work something out. I've heard 90 days is a must. I believe it's to avoid being sued. Not sure! No one to really ask. I guess you just do it and see!
:/

Plus, I am the only Spanish speaking agent in the area. They'll need time to find a replacement.

Last edited:
The 90 days is mandatory and you will receive your commissions for those 3 months and still have to pay for your Farmers E&O insurance during this time period. The 3 months you could still sell in that time period if you would like being the reason the E&O. The 3 months is to smooth the transition as they will move the policies to an agent in your district. Your subsidy you owe or you think you owe will be a lot smaller than you think. Your DM pays half plus they take the consideration of your book of business.

Don't worry the insurance game is not lost take some time away a year perhaps that is when your non compete clause is done. If you would like to go independent you will find you'll love insurance again as you control what you do no one else does.

----------

The 90 days is mandatory and you will receive your commissions for those 3 months and still have to pay for your Farmers E&O insurance during this time period. The 3 months you could still sell in that time period if you would like being the reason the E&O. The 3 months is to smooth the transition as they will move the policies to an agent in your district. Your subsidy you owe or you think you owe will be a lot smaller than you think. Your DM pays half plus they take the consideration of your book of business.

Don't worry the insurance game is not lost take some time away a year perhaps that is when your non compete clause is done. If you would like to go independent you will find you'll love insurance again as you control what you do no one else does.

Btw non compete is only for the customers you accumulated at farmers one year you can't touch.

Back