Retirement Community Wants Insurance Settlement Paperwork re: Hail Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelvegates

I want to know if this passes the smell test.

I own a rental home in a Colorado retirement community that is run by Brookdale Senior Living. Most of the homes in the community have been purchased by Brookdale, though there are a few dozen private owners. There are 4 different models of homes in the neighborhood.

In August, there was a hail storm that damaged many roofs, including mine. The covenants for the community state that Brookdale is responsible for all exterior repairs, but I am responsible for maintaining insurance, filing claims, and turning over the insurance proceeds to Brookdale. Brookdale has hired one contractor to do all of the roof repairs.

In addition to asking for the insurance proceeds, Brookdale has informed me that it wants my insurance estimate which they will turn over to the roofing contractor. The roofing contractor will then work directly with the insurance company, and I will be responsible only for the deductible.

There is nothing in the covenants that indicates I must turn over my repair estimate -- only my "proceeds".

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but it seems to me that Brookdale should have received some type of financial incentive for choosing one contractor to do all of the work. It also seems to me that the contractor should be able to provide the cost to re-shingle, re-gutter, and re-vent "Model A" homes, "Model B' homes, etc., as each "Model" is exactly the same. And, it seems to me, I should obtain estimates from other roofers to make sure that Brookdale's roofer is charging a reasonable amount.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is nothing in the covenants that indicates I must turn over my repair estimate -- only my "proceeds".

I can't read your covenants from here (nor do I want to - LOL) but if you have accurately related covenants' provision then your option is to endorse the check from your insurance company, make out another check to Brookdale for the amount of the deductible, give both checks, and refuse to turn over your estimate.

I can't tell you what to do or predict what will happen next. It's up to you to decide what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back