Retrieving Medicare/Medicare Info

fossilfinder

Hello all!

Long time lurker, first-time poster, looking for some advice.

I met with a D-SNP eligible prospect yesterday who wanted to switch to a new plan. We got the application up and ready to go and he said "oh darn, I forgot my Medicare, Medicaid AND current plan card." I said no problem, switched to paper and told him to call me when he got home and could get his cards (just needed effective dates and old plan member ID). He called me when he got home to tell me he couldn't find any of his cards.

This person is of sound mental capacity, I just believe he is relatively unorganized. Is it possible that I could sit back down with him, call SSA with him on the phone to retrieve his A+B effective dates, Medicaid number and then his current D-SNP carrier for the member ID or is this ill-advised?

I haven't had to call them in the last year or two, but I've never had an issue with SSA or RRB providing the member with their Medicare number and effective dates over the phone. I don't know if anything has changed in the past couple of years. But I have had to wait on hold for an hour or more.

For those who got Medicare when they turned 65 or have a good idea of the effective date, you can verify info on the Medicare site, including Medicaid level and their current plan. But I think it might only give you the Part A effective date and not Part B. I haven't had to do that in a while.

Last edited:
You can avoid the mind-numbing experience of calling SSA by just calling 800-Medicare and get his effective dates from them. I've done it. You'll need him to give permission to Medicare to release the info to you.

Why would you need his member ID from his current plan?

I just worked through this, the security in MySocialSecurity is even more detailed to work through (I had to reward myself with a candy bar) than My Medicare, but I finally got logged into My Social Security after doing a bunch of account updating.
At the home screen, go to the third white box down-it is labelled
Benefits & Payments.

Click on the blue text View Benefit Details

On that screen, Take the Medicare down arrow.

You will then see enrollment information for Parts A, B, C and D.

I can't verify the presentation for Part C, but the A, B and D information for me look fine in my account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I look and can't see. I just looked at the MyMedicare screen for the third or fourth time.

At the Home tab screen, there is a box on the right side, around mid-screen level.
It is showing my Part A date, My Part B date and some PDP info.

You can avoid the mind-numbing experience of calling SSA by just calling 800-Medicare and get his effective dates from them. I've done it.

By far the easiest & most accurate way.

Another option is to "guess" on Medicare . gov's planfinder site under "personalized search" but even at that you'll only confirm Part A if memory serves me right.

This is only feasible if they have have a pretty good idea of when Medicare started and are sure both parts started at the same time - but really, you'll probably just want to call Medicare.

I cant get the plan finder to recognize my info right now-maybe the new numbers have already been issued, but if I remember right, a couple of years ago I could access my plan record with either the correct Part A date Or the correct Part B date (they are different), as long as I had all the other info correct. There is a little toggle there that allows you to switch back and forth between a request for a Part A date or a Part B date.

By far the easiest & most accurate way.

Another option is to "guess" on Medicare . gov's planfinder site under "personalized search" but even at that you'll only confirm Part A if memory serves me right.

This is only feasible if they have have a pretty good idea of when Medicare started and are sure both parts started at the same time - but really, you'll probably just want to call Medicare.

Most mapd carriers have a number you can call to verify if medicare is active/start dates,LIS and medicaid status/number as long as you have the suspects permission and can provide a social security number and dob ..or if you are in a spot you can guess on the application and let the carrier fix it.

Back