Returning to insurance

jcorr

Super Genius
I've been out of the insurance industry for about 15 years. Tried several things over the years but through a series of fortunate (?) events I'm making my way back. Just got re-activated my license and I'm working on my 6 and 63. It looks like it's possible that I'll get my contract back with NYL. I've been perusing this site and there is a lot of good information but what I'd like to get is some advice about coming back into the business. (I know there are lots and lots and lots of people here who like to give advice.)

Yeah it was pretty vague wasn't it? I think what I need most help on is marketing life insurance. When I first started out selling life insurance 20+ years ago I knew it was important stuff but it really didn't hit home until I delivered my first claim. That turned me into a true believer and advocate. I was with NYL for about seven years. Thought the grass was greener elsewhere, left the business, tried several other things, learned a lot, and a couple of months ago decided to come back to selling insurance. I'm pretty much starting over and want to avoid swooping down on friends and family, coming across as "I need to sell you a policy to make my numbers". Currently I'm thinking of starting with three main approaches. First is to call on former Primerica agents to replace their policies (I saw that suggested here, thought it was a good idea), buying leads (Life Leads Direct, Everquote), and working with a NYL agent who has inherited way more clients than he could ever work. I realize that most of my initial sales are going to be term but my initial goal is just to get as many sales as possible to build a basic book of business. Once I get my 6 and 63 I'll be able to go back and discuss investments.

So, are my initial marketing ideas plausible? Or do they fall into the realm of fantasy? What other ideas do people have?

You might get a lot out of this thread:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/d2d-l-h-annuities-tracker.88391/

In addition, I'd check out Sid Walker's website and it's FREE (normally $47/month) to learn his low-key approach.
www.sellingwithoutwrestling.com

As for referrals, I'd invest $37 into Sandy Schussel's Mastering Client Referral course:
http://sandyschussel.com/products/

If you can transition from "selling products" to solving problems... prospecting and positioning yourself gets a lot easier.

Thanks, I remember years ago that we taught "Counselor Selling" where the idea was to listen to what the client needed and offer solutions to their problems.

"Counselor Selling" - if you're referring to Wilson Selling... eh, not bad, but not great.

I'm going to give you a big boost here: The client isn't QUALIFIED to know what they want. How many people do you know that have ORGANIZED thinking about personal finance and insurance? I know very few. That's why we ask questions, take notes, give concepts, and let people then, with organized conceptual thinking, help them to make new decisions and set new priorities.

Van Mueller said something on last week's webinar that was really good:
- Amateur advisors answer questions. We ask questions.
- Don't tell people what life insurance is. Show them what life insurance does.

Van says that he made MDRT Top of the Table this year... by February 28th... so that'll give you an idea of his production level.

I recorded the webinar and posted it to my YouTube channel. I have other Van Mueller video recordings there as well.

Back