Returning to life

WildGoose

Hi everyone,

This will be a bit unusual. I was a good producer until I became disabled in 2002. I had completed about 6 of the CLU courses, and had been in life and investment sales for 12 years, mostly as an independent, but then later as a FA with Merrill Lynch and then headed up a bank sales program. Before my disability I held series 7, 66, and 26

I've progressed with my rehabilitation to the point where I'm wanting to get my license again. As everyone knows, the industry looks for high energy production. The reality of my situation is that for a while, I will be a middling producer. I'm looking for a situation where the GA or MGA understands the situation and will not be cranking all sorts of pressure on me. I am eligible for the Ticket to Work program through Social Security.

I know how to sell, I know how to prospect, and am a good 'people person'. The fundamentals of life insurance selling have not changed. However many once seemingly stalwart companies have disappeared. Likewise the industry once had many MGA (managing general agencies, which I gather are now called IMOs) for those who want to be completely independent.

I do not want to be in a captive situation. I want to have vested renewals (if renewal commissions even exist any more). I don't need or want financing, and I don't want annualized commissions. I would like a company that has good training available (either online or in person), would like reimbursement to finish my CLU/ChFC. Right now I want to start off with basic life sales, and eventually grow into full financial services. My strong preference to have at least one carrier with a strong, par whole life product.

I live in Massachusetts. Any recommendations?

PS: Whatever company must have good disability waivers on their permanent policies. Boy have I got a story to tell to sell those!

I do not want to be in a captive situation. I want to have vested renewals (if renewal commissions even exist any more). I don't need or want financing, and I don't want annualized commissions. I would like a company that has good training available (either online or in person), would like reimbursement to finish my CLU/ChFC. Right now I want to start off with basic life sales, and eventually grow into full financial services. My strong preference to have at least one carrier with a strong, par whole life product.

There are a number of companies that fit what you're looking for... but if you're looking to get securities licensed with a broker/dealer... that usually requires a captive situation. If you'd rather get a Series 65 and join an RIA only firm, that has a lot more flexibility for your situation.

I'd look at Ohio National (www.joinohionational.com) as well as Midland National (Join Midland National: Home). Both of these companies offer CLU/ChFC reimbursement after you hit a certain amount of production.

Just FYI - The American College instituted a 5-year term limit for completing all courses for any given designation program. You'll have to start all over again.

Also, since we're on the subject - I recommend www.bigdaddyu.com online lectures for passing your CLU/ChFC courses. They are so good, you don't even need the textbook to take your exam. That's how I passed my ChFC courses 10 years ago.

There are a lot of independent broker-dealers that do not require you to be captive. My BD only requires securities and indexed annuities to be run thru them, I'm free to place my life business anywhere.

Reactions: DHK
Good to see you Golfnut2112!

True, but in most cases, independent broker/dealers want current licensing, recent experience, and production track record.

Back