Rewrite or AOR Ma Plans for AEP?

How does that work? If I meet someone on the same plan I would recommend, but doesn't have an agent, do I just rewrite it? aor it? for Aep. Do carriers pay commission on this?
Appreciate any help on this.

AOR it like you stole it....

Humana can be tricky here. Last one I sent in they said that they wanted it "handwritten" by the bene - as if a bene can't have a computer and print out a letter? They do that to make sure we don't form-letter AOR's, I guess.

Normally, have them put a reason in - like, "He takes care of my life insurance, and I'd like him to be on my Health ins as well - or - I haven't heard from my agent in 3 years...."

It may take a while to get paid, but you will. UHC won't do it last time I checked... but most of them can be changed to a better option anyway.

How does that work? If I meet someone on the same plan I would recommend, but doesn't have an agent, do I just rewrite it? aor it? for Aep. Do carriers pay commission on this?

sshafran is exactly right when it comes to Humana. Handwritten AOR gets your paid. UHC is a no go.

As others have said, it's a carrier issue and they all have their own rules and guidelines. When I've come across someone who is already on the plan that I'd recommend, I just tell them to stick with what they have. It doesn't happen often though.

If they are calling me it's because they've been referred to me and typically aren't thrilled with their current plan. I find out what it is they aren't happy about and then review their options. If there is a plan with lower costs (doctor & hospital copays and medication cost), it's a no-brainer as long as their doctors are in the network. But if their current plan is their lowest cost option (and significantly lower) I just encourage them to stick with it unless they are really dissatisfied for some reason. And I've found that some people get so frustrated with a plan that they are willing to pay a higher cost. Another example is not wanting an HMO. I've had some people choose a PPO with higher costs because they just don't want an HMO.

I know some people are probably going to say I'm leaving money on the table by not doing an AOR, but I'm ok with that. It only happens occasionally so it isn't a big deal. As I said, if they are calling me it's because they aren't happy and I can typically find them a comparable plan and just write the new application. Plus, they typically call me the following year to review plans again. They eventually become a client for the most part.

YMMV

Back