RHU Designation

mmike160

Guru
100+ Post Club
PA
Hi everyone,

I got into the insurance business a couple of months ago and am having a lot of success writing individual health, but am looking to learn group also.

I found American College that teaches a RHU designation program and they're located about 30 minutes from me.

Any thoughts about if this would be a good move this early in my career?

I'm really enjoying learning this field and want to take my understanding to a higher lever.

:idea:

Hi everyone,

I got into the insurance business a couple of months ago and am having a lot of success writing individual health, but am looking to learn group also.

I found American College that teaches a RHU designation program and they're located about 30 minutes from me.

Any thoughts about if this would be a good move this early in my career?

I'm really enjoying learning this field and want to take my understanding to a higher lever.

:idea:

Taking 2 classes to obtain a designation (that nobody knows about) in my mind is worthless. I thought about going in the same direction when I first started out as an indy. Find out the specifics of the course and take some CE credits instead. Spend the remainder of your money on marketing.

I think that the RHU designation is well worth it. I think it entails a little more then two courses. In fact, if I'm not mistaken cool your heels, I think you have to have a three year track record before you start.

Okay, I was wrong! RHU Program Courses :: The American College Still think if you want to pursue it, it is well worth the cost.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about putting "John Petrowski CPL" after my name. No one knows what it means but I left the Marines a corporal and it doesn't cost me anything.

If you want to get a RHU designation to sell health insurance just send me the money. I can flush it down the toilet for you.

If you want to take the course work for the education, then go for it. Designations mean nothing to the general public and little more to anyone but HO types. Most of the RHU's I know work in a HO somewhere. There are a few agents with RHU after their name, but they are usually the ones that string letters after their name . . . Joe Superprick, RHU, CEBS, LUTC . . .

A better use of your money might be to join a local chapter of NAHU. Some locals are good, some a waste of time & money.

Visit before joining.

You can learn some things about our industry and get to scope out the competition.

Look for the quiet ones. They are confident in themselves and their ability. The loudmouths are usually trying to impress and doing a lousy job of it.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Learning the fundamentals of Group was more my motivation, not really the designation it's self. I think i'm going to check out my local NAHU chapter.

Can any of you recommend any books, courses or seminars to learn the inworkings of Small to Medium Group?

Thanks,

Mike in Philly

RHU requires three courses (2 core and 1 elective) and you have to have three years in the business to use it. The cost is around $1700 for the three classes (this includes all the materials - not sure on the testing fees). I have taken 2 of them as they were paid for by my employer and will probably take the third just to complete it. I found it to be a lot of good information, but also a lot of stuff you will never use or run into (kind of like the series 7 and 66 tests).

I'm incredibly impressed with my designations.

Richard S. Bronstein, CSA, CBC, CIC, ACBC, MSAA

I had to get a bigger business card to include them all.

Rick

Back