Roofing Contractors

rogersinsgroup

Who writes them? I wrote a siding, mill work and incidental roofer last year through FB of Mi, they where new to my area and thought about going full roofing co. The work comp got denied by some big boys, Travelers, The Hartford, EMC. The state pool was the only place the agency I'm at could place the work comp. It was $18,000 for $95,000 in payroll. I was dumbfounded - this was just for incidental roofing, another 5 k for the other part of the operation. When I presented the quote, they about fell out of the chair and took a weekend to think about their business model. They decided to not do roof and just the siding and mill-work. I wrote the work comp, bus auto, BOP, and all in we where $14k in annual premium (surprisingly 100% clean 5 year loss runs- and I got max IRPM's from UW). I think the account is now about $17k due to renewal, increased payroll and buying 3 more trucks.

Anyways, I feel like roofing contractors are often over looked due to costs; what company writes em' at a reasonable cost (subjective I know) and that IS NOT E&S?

Start with the understanding that roofers are a walking workers comp claim and you'll begin to understand the rates.

Then, what state are you in?

I've always avoided roofers, the only place I've found reliable for them is StateFund, sometimes a carrier will enter the market, but rates are tough.

Dan

Dan,

I'm in Michigan, yeah I know why it is so expensive, but I feel like it might be a good market to target as not many agents (by me at least) do. Like I said, out of the carriers I had at the time, none could help, so it had to be quoted through the state's Pool.

For loss ratios, it probably isn't good, but if I could get a carrier that doesn't mind as much, or more like a secondary carrier; it might be beneficial.

Who writes them? I wrote a siding, mill work and incidental roofer last year through FB of Mi, they where new to my area and thought about going full roofing co. The work comp got denied by some big boys, Travelers, The Hartford, EMC. The state pool was the only place the agency I'm at could place the work comp. It was $18,000 for $95,000 in payroll. I was dumbfounded - this was just for incidental roofing, another 5 k for the other part of the operation. When I presented the quote, they about fell out of the chair and took a weekend to think about their business model. They decided to not do roof and just the siding and mill-work. I wrote the work comp, bus auto, BOP, and all in we where $14k in annual premium (surprisingly 100% clean 5 year loss runs- and I got max IRPM's from UW). I think the account is now about $17k due to renewal, increased payroll and buying 3 more trucks.

Anyways, I feel like roofing contractors are often over looked due to costs; what company writes em' at a reasonable cost (subjective I know) and that IS NOT E&S?

I'm sure that their operations consist more of "incidental" roofing. Carriers know that too. It'll be hard to find an admitted market to place that class with. I have a few roofers (I don't actively prospect them) and their WC is on E&S paper

Back