Rookie Health Agent Seeks Advice

Health_Broker101

My name is Tony and I’m new to the board. I am really happy I found this forum because it looks like there’s a lot of top agents with some very valuable insight on here! I am hoping a few of you veterans can help me out as I was recently licensed to sell health insurance in the state of California.

I am basically wondering if my high level plan makes sense and if you could please give me any recommendations I would really appreciate it!

I was told:

1. I need to buy Errors and Omissions insurance before I start (I guess it protects me from lawsuits)?

2. I should get appointed with a few carriers like Aetna, PacifiCare and BlueCross BlueShield here in CA

3. I should buy a web site from Norvax or Quotit so that I look reputable and my customers can run quotes. Also having the ability to send auto emails to prospects is a good idea.

4. I should get a toll free phone # so that I can do business from home and throughout the state.

5. I should get licensed in MI and OH as well because it’s relatively cheap/free.

Does all of this make sense? Is there any particular order to get things done? Anything to add? Once I have all of these things up and running I should find a lead provider and start following up and try to solve people’s problems by recommending the best plan (based on their needs) at the most affordable price?

Can I do this all on my own with no previous experience selling insurance? I do have quite a bit of tele-sales experience.

Any assistance you can provide would make a world of difference and I promise to “Pay it Forward” to a newbie like me in the future!

Thanks!

Tony the Rookie -

Last edited:
My biggest piece of advice right now would be to spend a day or two reading all the posts (well until they point where they sometimes get off subject) that have been posted. Once you read through the majority of the posts you will have more of an idea of what all is involved. I still go back and read older posts from time to time, there is good information on this forum! Happy reading!

1. Most (but not all) carriers require E&O.

2. Sounds good. Some of the CA agents might add others.

3. Thats $250 or so set up + $100/month. If you have the funds, OK, but you might want to hold off even if you have money to burn.

4. Not a bad idea but selling by phone is a real challenge for some. TF numbers aren't that expensive.

5. Stick to your own state before trying to sell in someone elses back yard.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know the CA market, but you will need E&O, a lead source, and appointment with all of the competitive carriers.

Also, you are crazy if you don't get a toll free number. It's incredibly cheap. I use Ring Central (if I wasn't so damn lazy, I'd insert my referral code here) and it's about $30 per month I think.

IMO, a quoting engine such as Norvax/Quotit is essential and well worth the cost. I would not survive without Norvax... I recommend you demo both products a decide which one you like better.

As far as licensing in multiple states is concerned, I would recommend you wait until you have learned the products in your home state. Although, I believe it is tricky to find advances in CA (once again, check with some of the CA guys and gals on the board)... so if you need advances, other states might make sense. If I lived in CA, I would pick up AZ, but that's just me.

1) Get appointed with Blue Shield. They are next to worthless as far as IFP, but you can get E&O through them for $460 a year.

2) Sell a senior the $10 Anthem Blue Cross dental so you can get an appointment with them.

3) Get appointed with Aetna and (maybe) Health Net.

4) Don't get a website through Quotit unless you don't want to market it. Instead use a web guy (www.artitude.com).

5) Join the IHIAA for $200. You'll save that much easily in the cost of services from vendors, web design, etc. and gain a great deal of knowledge.

6) Toll free number is a great idea and really cheap.

7) Please feel free to call me. My number is listed on my websites.

8) Don't bother with MI or other states until you get a grip on CA. There are still a few people here I haven't insured so you might have a chance with them.

Rick

IMO, a quoting engine such as Norvax/Quotit is essential and well worth the cost. I would not survive without Norvax... I recommend you demo both products a decide which one you like better.

I'll do 200 cases this year without either a Norvax or Quotit quote engine, so that proves that it's not exactly essential.

Back