Sad State of Affairs: Veterans Selling Pensions?

I knew you could JG Wentworth an annuity, but I didn't think you could do a pension. I guess these shops target retired veterans the most.

Anyone ever hear of someone or a vet selling their pensions?

Normally I would say, NEVER sell your pension, but thinking about my father's case where the union took a 30% chunck out of his pension, and couldn't guarantee that it won't be bigger down the road, I wonder if it woulda made sense to sell at the top...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get-there/wp/2015/10/28/the-complicated-product-that-is-leaving-some-retirees-deeper-in-debt/

The payouts are typically less than what retirees would receive had they chosen to receive lump-sum payments directly from their pension provider, consumer groups say. They can also be more expensive than other alternatives, such as credit cards, personal loans and home equity lines of credit. But pension advances can be an attractive option for retirees short on cash who feel they won’t qualify for traditional lending vehicles because of bad credit or other setbacks.

On Wednesday, Reps. Matthew Cartwright (D-Pa.) and Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.) reintroduced a bill that would cap interest rates on pension advances sold to military members and federal retirees.

Consumer advocates say that because the products are not officially classified as loans, costs are not always clearly explained. Instead, sales representatives focus on the size of the monthly payments. Effective interest rates can range from about 30 percent to more than 100 percent.

Back