Sales Books

I was wondering what sales books you guys would recommend. I'm looking for something that is motivational but covers a few things I would like to improve on.

1. The customer who says let me think on it.
2. Uncovering needs
3. Rejection and rebuttal

Thank you

Perhaps not the answer you wanted to hear, but find an experienced active broker on this Forum that is successful at doing the very things you seek to improve.

Pick his/her brain. Their replies will be timely, current and directly related to your situation. Sometimes, books can't do that.

1. The customer who says let me think on it.
Translation: I don't trust you yet. There was a mistake further back in your "process". Gotta drill down, "OK, that's a good idea. What will you be thinking about?"

2. Uncovering needs
Forget "needs" - they're not a powerful motivator. Thru questioning, uncover "wants".

3. Rejection and rebuttal
There's no place for "rebuttal" in a client-advisor relationship. You're not selling subscriptions to the Sunday paper. If you've done your job correctly, there's no "rejection and rebuttal" - way too adversarial! If you get to this point, you've made a mistake further back.

From the Rich Dad Poor Dad series called Sales Dogs.
It not specific towards insurance but over all sales.

Its a cool book because it relates sale styles to particular dogs. So if you are a serious door knocker and bite at everything then you considered a Pit bull.

If you use the best friend approach then you considered a basset hound.

If you have a real technical approach then your a poodle.

If you will do anything to get the client your the retriever.

What the book really emphasizes is if your a certain dog then you need to work the other dog approach. Its trying to make a sales person really balanced. Its also good if your a sales manager so you can help to balance your sales people.

I liked the book but could never do the best friend approach.

For what its worth.

Moonlight I agree with you on my approach thanks.

After reading through this forum, I can see that I need some tweeking. I've only been in the business for a month now and I've only written 3 policies including myself. I've stop buying internet leads because I only know two product (GoldenRule and Assurant) and I'm not that familiar with their guidelines.

I joined IHIAA a few days ago and sent in carrier contracts with Humana, Aetna, American Community and World through Health Choice One. The Agency I was with was limited on carriers to say the least.

Chumps, I would like find an agent to help mentor me through this first part, but I can't pay for that right now. Unless anyone would be so kind to help a newb?

Last edited:
Moonlight I agree with you on my approach thanks.

After reading through this forum, I can see that I need some tweeking. I've only been in the business for a month now and I've only written 3 policies including myself. I've stop buying internet leads because I only know two product (GoldenRule and Assurant) and I'm not that familiar with their guidelines.

I joined IHIAA a few days ago and sent in carrier contracts with Humana, Aetna, American Community and World through Health Choice One. The Agency I was with was limited on carriers to say the least.

Chumps, I would like find an agent to help mentor me through this first part, but I can't pay for that right now.

You are in the KC area? Contact Midwestbroker, he is a mod here on this site. He has agents under him and knows the market. You are going to starve at this rate, and it would be easy to get you up and running for some OEP business if you are motivated.

I am up by the airport in the north end.

Back