Sales/Ego Dilemma - How Would You Respond?

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
I having an ego dilemma :) I have a prospect who was referred to me by a colleague who hasn't been shy about showing me my place and rank compared to herself. I took a life insurance app and got a policy approved for her after a lot of work and haggle with the carrier. The woman has some serious health issues.

The policy came back rated, even more so than what we expected. The prospect never returned any of my calls and emails to tell me what she wanted to do. I was polite but after the 3rd or 4th time asking (in about a month's time), I gave up.

So now I get a call saying that she has decided not to buy the insurance but is interested in another insurance product. My ego now says to tell her to pound sand because I hate the rudeness. I can take the "no" as that is sales but to not have some common curtesy to say "no" (could have been as simple as send an email saying she's working on another option) is what bothers me. Besides, if she's like that now, she'll be the same way in the future.

BUT, as a sales person I know the best way I can come out a winner is to take her money and just do what I need to do and forget my ego. That's assuming I get something else issued.

BUT, one of the few pleasure of being in business for yourself is that you can pass on people that you do not want to do business with.

I would say the business is worth between $1,000 to $2,000 of premium...probably closer to the $1,000 mark.

What would you do?

I having an ego dilemma :)

I would say the business is worth between $1,000 to $2,000 of premium...probably closer to the $1,000 mark.

What would you do?

Simple question, what is more important to you, your ego and not having to deal with an annoying prospect, or the potential to make $1,000?

I would also ask myself, why did my colleague refer this prospect to me? Perhaps it is because she saw how difficult this woman would be.

I'm tempted to tell you to take the money, but based on your past experience, how likely are you to see the money?

I would tell them to find another agent. Life is too short to deal with people like that. This would be a high maintenance client not worth the time and trouble.

The best way to get back at someone who thinks they are better than you is to stick some of their money in your pocket.

take their money and punch the referring person in the face...

I like that idea :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I actually think I will shop out her request to see if it's even "doable". If not, then I have little to lose by telling her "thanks but no thanks".

Last edited:
Its a tough situation. I know both the feeling of wanting the $ and the feeling of not wanting a high maintenance client.

I think you have the right idea though. Since you already know her medical history then informally shopping it shouldnt be a big deal.
If it seems doable then take the app and put the servicing at the bottom of your to do pile.

If after shopping it, it seems like a long shot, then tell her to take a hike..

The answer is simple. If you don't need the money then just don't return her calls. Pass her on to another agent.

If you do need the money then there is no place for "egos" in this business. The customer is "always right" and you do what ever is necessary to feed your family.

You hit the nail on the head when you said, "BUT, one of the few pleasure(s) of being in business for yourself is that you can pass on people that you do not want to do business with.".

I have told clients, not prospects, that they would be a lot happier if they found another agent, why? Because I can.

I remember several articles on this issue from several sources. All making it very clear that we should avoid sub par quality clients, they create way more problems then they are worth.

The salesman in you is forgetting that you don't sell cars or knives door to door where even if the client decides a few weeks later they are extremely unhappy with their purchase, they can't really do anything about it.

You know the right answer to this situation. It's not an ego situation. It's time to cast this one aside.

It's life insurance for pete's sake, not a policy where you will need to service it a couple of times per year like a med. supp., or major medical, etc.

Take the woman's $1000.00, stick it in your pocket, and move on with life. Heck. if your ego is too big to take the $1000, sell the policy and give the money to a needy family. Preferrably mine, since I am a failure and getting ready to get a job at McDonalds soon, I'll need it...HA-HA

Do you and your family need the money? What's more important, making a point, or feeding you and your family? The guys who are saying PASS, have built a book of business where they can afford to PASS.

Last edited:
Back