Sales or Adjusting? Questions Before a Career Change...

Greetings all! I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, please move if not!

So here's the deal: Back in 2006 I took a crash course and got my independent all lines insurance adjuster's license with the Texas Dept. of Insurance. I subsequently let my license lapse due to a family situation that kept me from pursuing a job in the industry and have since become a network installation tech, along with selling the same services in addition to installing them.

Needless to say I'm burned out and ready to get back into insurance.

In your opinion, where should I start? What are the pros of selling insurance vs adjusting? I love sales and excel at client relationships, but I also like the technical aspects of adjusting, being out in the field, etc...

Is there a link on the forums that best suits this question?

At this point I'm preferably looking to get into adjusting, but am curious what the opinions are in regards to income potential with sales as well as time vs. income ratios.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Good that you have an open mind. However you need to know that you may find it difficult to break into a field claims adjusting position, particularly if you are thinking of working for a carrier. Most carriers start their trainees with desk jobs which will provide you with plenty of opportunity to learn the claims business and learn the basics. My Son started this way and within a couple of years is in a team leader supervision position with a strong National carrier, getting good salary progressions a nice benefits package.

As for an insurance sales career suggestion, with your stated background, you might be best served to work in an agency, to learn the business.

There are a lot of other factors that should influence your decision.

Give me a call if you want some other advice. My phone number is on my website.

Latest posts

Back