Sales Training

I just give the employees X number of dollars per month and they are responsbile for finding their own insurance? Thanks!

I'd ask the owner if you can get in touch with or present to the employees to go over options for coverage. Offer to take him to lunch, on you (if face to face), either way, see if you both can help his employees, making him look like he'll be the hero for helping those employees.

Since I will be selling group and supplemental how do I respond to the business owner who says he cannot afford any insurance?

I'd say this first:

"I can get a lower price as long as you don't mind ________ (examples, a lower deductible, sacrificing benefits, etc.)

Now they have to decide if it's really too expensive or not and worth the lower price. It also gets them to commit.

Option two:(if there's no lower priced alternative):

That's exactly why you should get it now. If you think you can't afford it, the premium only goes up over time so if you ever want to get it, get it now. Remember, you're only one diagnosis away from being eligible for a reasonable price, and you want the insurance before you need it, right?

To make it clearer, it should say "ineligible for a reasonable price" so it doesn't confuse anyone.

This is not a good prospect for you, don't waste your time.

The key is to have an abundance of prospects so you walk away from these, and work with the good prospects.

I was assuming that in this case, it wasn't a blow off and it was more qualified.

Well there are quite a few business owners who cannot afford the traditional health insurance plans. But......by being versatile I can offer him the chance, at no direct cost, to present supplemental or voluntary products. Life, critical illness or limited health plans may have some appeal to the employees. At the very least it would show he has some genuine concern for the welfare of his employees rather than just giving up. Comments? Am I on the right road to a sale???;)

Well there are quite a few business owners who cannot afford the traditional health insurance plans. But......by being versatile I can offer him the chance, at no direct cost, to present supplemental or voluntary products. Life, critical illness or limited health plans may have some appeal to the employees. At the very least it would show he has some genuine concern for the welfare of his employees rather than just giving up. Comments? Am I on the right road to a sale???;)

Over many years of experience, I've found that if the boss is not willing to contribute anything, you'll get almost no enrollment from the the employees.

He has some concern for the welfare of the employees - but isn't willing to spend any money to prove it.

supplemental or voluntary products. Life, critical illness or limited health plans may have some appeal to the employees.

Supplemental products are just that . . . supplemental.

The idea is to first have major med in place.

Even if the employer is not providing it, a good agent will make sure they have major med before hawking supp plans.

Supp plans are like buying new tires on a car with 200k on the engine. Once the engine blows those new tires are worthless and the money you spent could have gone toward a new car.

It doesn't hurt to try, sales can happen in the likeliest places sometimes. The more you know, the more you never know.

Back