Salvage Title Question

zsephut

Hello! So, I got into an accident a couple of months ago in which I was rear ended and not at fault, and since my car was already pretty shabby, it was determined a total loss. Because I've been in a difficult financial position (read: poor), I decided to take the money from the insurance company and keep my car as a salvage. In hindsight I wish I had let them take it, because I didn't realize what headaches were involved in the process in general.

Basically, in order to register it as a salvage I'm going to need to get the brakes and lights inspected, and therefore I'd need to spend a boat load of money to fix one of the headlights. On top of that I'm fully prepared for them to tell me I need to get it smogged, and I don't know if it would pass. This is all not worth the headache to me because I intend to get a new car soon.

So, what steps do I need to take in order to simply sell the car? I may even end up selling it to a junkyard. Can I sell the car while it is in this inbetween title state? Or can I change the title without having to fix anything?

I just want to get rid of the car and get a new car without spending any more money than I have to! I know this isn't a DMV issues forum, but hopefully someone can help me. Thanks!

Hello! So, I got into an accident a couple of months ago in which I was rear ended and not at fault, and since my car was already pretty shabby, it was determined a total loss. Because I've been in a difficult financial position (read: poor), I decided to take the money from the insurance company and keep my car as a salvage. In hindsight I wish I had let them take it, because I didn't realize what headaches were involved in the process in general. Basically, in order to register it as a salvage I'm going to need to get the brakes and lights inspected, and therefore I'd need to spend a boat load of money to fix one of the headlights. On top of that I'm fully prepared for them to tell me I need to get it smogged, and I don't know if it would pass. This is all not worth the headache to me because I intend to get a new car soon. So, what steps do I need to take in order to simply sell the car? I may even end up selling it to a junkyard. Can I sell the car while it is in this inbetween title state? Or can I change the title without having to fix anything? I just want to get rid of the car and get a new car without spending any more money than I have to! I know this isn't a DMV issues forum, but hopefully someone can help me. Thanks!

Sell it to a salvage yard or watch for a car dealer that has a "drive, push or tow" trade in sale going on. Those are popular in Indiana.

The junkyard can deal with this for you. Let them take over the hassle.

Dan

Ok cool, that is reassuring. If I sold it to a private party, would I have a ton of hoops to jump through?

On another note, does anyone know the criteria on which the DMV requires a smog certificate? Do they need one whenever you are registering a new car in your name? I am in California.

Detemine what this car is worth on the market registered as salvage.

What is it worth to YOU registered as salavage? In other words, imagine that a dealer is offering you the choice of either the new car or your old car inspected and registered. What is the most you would pay for the old car before concluding that the new car is a better deal?
How does that compare to the estimated cost of having it inspected and registered?

Consider parting it out.

Keep in mind that as a trade-in it is probably worth $0 at most. Any trade-in allowance will come out of the discount on the car you are buying (which you can get without the trade). You are better off selling it yourself to a salvage yard.

I wouldn't expect any complications selling it to a private party as long as you are selling it as salvage. Check with the DMV.

Back