Same Sex Couple Enrollment

houcoogster

Guru
1000 Post Club
So I've got a couple that's getting married in Feb and want to enroll now.

Last year they filed separately but 2016 they will file jointly. He has to have surgery in Feb.

Should I enroll them now or wait until after the wedding and use the SEP?

If I wait he wont be covered for his colon surgery. I don't know what to do about this. He said he has been waiting for months to have this surgery and if he has to delay it, it will be months longer.

Last year they filed separately but 2016 they will file jointly. He has to have surgery in Feb.

If I wait he wont be covered for his colon surgery. I don't know what to do about this. He said he has been waiting for months to have this surgery and if he has to delay it, it will be months longer.

well the only way they are going to get a sub is to be married....time to move up the wedding.....and what says love like a covered colon surg......

While in the military, as soon as people got engaged, they hit the judge up for the legal wedding just to get benefits started, then the formal wedding later. Looks to be the best option here.

While in the military, as soon as people got engaged, they hit the judge up for the legal wedding just to get benefits started, then the formal wedding later. Looks to be the best option here.

That's a great idea I will suggest this to them. They really would like to have this done before they leave on their honeymoon.

You enroll them now as singles. When they get married, you do a change in circumstances. The IRS has specific rules about how to handle mid-year marriages and divorces in the IRS TD9590. The first page shows an index. You will find this under 4C(i) titled "Taxpayers who marry during the taxable year".

The proposed regulations provide that, like other taxpayers, newly-married taxpayers compute their premium tax credit using family size and household income as reported on their tax return and the appropriate applicable benchmark plan for each coverage month regardless of whether the taxpayers were married or single during the month. The proposed regulations request comments on alternative credit computations for taxpayers who receive advance payments, marry during the year, and owe additional tax, even if the Exchange accurately projects each spouse’s separate income.

Some commentators suggested an alternative computation that computes the credit for the single months separately for each spouse as if each taxpayer’s annual income was one-half of the actual household income for the year. For the married months, the credit would be computed using actual household income for the year. The premium tax credit would be the sum of the credits computed for the single months and the married months. This computation generally results in a smaller amount of excess advance payments compared to the amount computed under the proposed regulations.

The final regulations adopt the alternative credit computation suggested by the commentators as an option for taxpayers who marry during the taxable year. Under this alternative method, the credit for the single months is computed separately for each spouse as if each taxpayer’s annual income was one-half of the actual household income for the year, the credit for the married months is computed using actual household income for the year, and the premium tax credit is the sum of the credits computed for the single months and the married months. However, to avoid allowing taxpayers an increased amount of additional premium tax credit resulting from marriage, the final regulations cap any additional premium tax credit allowed to a taxpayer under this alternative computation method at the amount of additional credit that results from computing the credit under the general rule.

Commentators requested that the final regulations allow a year-of-marriage waiver on repaying excess advance payments. The final regulations do not adopt these comments as these rules would create unwarranted benefits, for example in cases of taxpayers who marry during the year and owe additional tax because their income is significantly higher than what the Exchange projected.​

http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1049726

Back