Satellite internet service

Expat

Guru
1000 Post Club
Does anyone use a satellite internet service?.

If so, is it reliable (In all weather conditions)
and will VOIP telephone service (Vonage etc) work with it.
I have heard that you will experience delays in any conversation

Thanks.

Satellite upload speeds are too slow for dependable VOIP service. Download is slow enough, but upload is especially bad and that is where you need the speed.

I'd only go with satellite as a last resort. There are places where it's the only choice, but if you can get cable or dsl, you'll be better off.

Satellite upload speeds are too slow for dependable VOIP service. Download is slow enough, but upload is especially bad and that is where you need the speed.

That is what I was afraid of.
Do you happen to know the minimum speeds that are required to use VIOP?.

The speed isn't the issue with VOIP and satellite, the problem is latency. The latency on satellite is horrendous, though the speed can actually be pretty decent (especially on the download).

In a conversation, what this does is it makes it so there are long delays between you speaking and the other person hearing. Cell phones are bad, satellite is much worse.

After latency, then you get into jitter, error packets, etc, etc. It isn't worth is, might as well as get out the string and tin cans.

Dan

For home service, VOIP is ok. I wouldn't use it for my business. I rely on excellent phone service. The savings is not enough to justify the loss of quality connection.

This is a myth. VOIP can be much clearer than a POTS line (a standard phone line). Try it sometime, no, not the cheapy $10 a month or free service, but a real voip service.

By the way, your phone company is VOIP once you get to the central hub, it's cheaper for them, better quality, etc. But they spent the money to do it right.

What your saying is basically the same thing as Health Insurance is lousy, they don't pay. I once bought a Mega plan.....

Dan

The only choice I have is satellite. SW Bell can't even give me voice mail where we live.

It is by no means as good as DSL but it is better than Dial-up.

The main issue I have is that every time it rains or a dog pees in the yard the satellite goes down. That is the last thing I need to happen during a phone conversation.

Back