Savage's books and Sandler System

The biggest value I see in books is to help you with certain parts of your presentation that you feel can they can be improved, but only after you believe you are having a problem. Then read how others have handled that problem and take what several say and come up with your own solution.

Spend that time learning everything there is to know about the product you are selling. Literally become an expert on the subject. Give your prospect information they have never heard before. Present your product using logic and information.

When I finish presenting a Med Supp policy the prospect doesn't have anything of substance to object to other than price. I handle all of their likely objections in the presentation using logic. I don't want my prospect making emotional decisions that they are going to most likely regret when I walk out the door.

No two people can sell the same way. You have to make your "dog and pony show" fit you and your personality. I think too many agents are looking for a "sure fire way" to make sales. A lot of what I have read sounds great on paper but doesn't work worth a damn in a real life situation.

"Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail."

Don't sell insurance, sell you. You can only learn to do that through a lot of experience.

I bought the Sandler System complete audio tape set several years ago.
It had some good techniques that wasn't the same old stuff that has been rehashed for the pass 30 years. Most of it was high pressure tactics.

The Sandler System is anything BUT high pressure tactics. I spend 18 months in the late 80's training under one of their better franchise holders and, if I have any sales ability now, it is the direct result of that training. It literally changed my life as it relates to sales and communication with others. It taught me how to ask good questions, find the key areas of importance of a client, and, above all, how to relax while on a sales call and never feel pressured or worried.

I'll give you the Cliffs Notes version of how to achieve all of this:
1. Never ask a question that can be answered Yes or No unless you absolutely know the answer.
2. Always have a third person with you on every sales call or phone coversation-that person is YOU listening to YOU.
3. Never be afraid to take NO for an answer, if fact, getting a NO is far better than a MAYBE.
4. When you get a NO, blame yourself for the NO, not the client, by saying something like, '____, I'm sorry, it must be me because I know this is the right thing for you but for whatever reason I've done a really bad job explaining it to you'. Try that out sometime, it really can work with a client who isn't being clear about which way he's leaning.

Hi I am new to selling and was reading through posts. Your philosophy of becoming expert on product is to my way of thinking as well. However, I am new to ins and am struggling with the best way to research and compare products. Any advice you can offer as to your method of analysis and comarison? Thanks Cindy

I'm currently taking the Sandler training and I agree, it's not about high pressure unless you're doing something wrong. It may seem high pressure to someone from the outside, not accepting a wishy-washy answer or an unclear future, but the way that you arrive at the result is anything but pressure filled. It takes nuturing people, using softening statements, and willingness to let the prospect know that a "no" is fine.

Get the book. I knew immediately when I read it that I was going to take the training. Trying to implement Sandler by reading the books (or having the tapes) won't work. The value comes through repitition in the classroom and practice in the field. It's not cheap, about $8000 to $10,000 a year, but I've gotten every penny back that I put in with a whole lot left over.

I'm currently taking the Sandler training and I agree, it's not about high pressure unless you're doing something wrong. It may seem high pressure to someone from the outside, not accepting a wishy-washy answer or an unclear future, but the way that you arrive at the result is anything but pressure filled. It takes nuturing people, using softening statements, and willingness to let the prospect know that a "no" is fine.

Get the book. I knew immediately when I read it that I was going to take the training. Trying to implement Sandler by reading the books (or having the tapes) won't work. The value comes through repitition in the classroom and practice in the field. It's not cheap, about $8000 to $10,000 a year, but I've gotten every penny back that I put in with a whole lot left over.

Which system are you currently taking? It sounds like you are a member of The Presidents Club.

Which system are you currently taking? It sounds like you are a member of The Presidents Club.

Sorry for the delay, I just saw your post. Your correct, it's the Presidents Club. Trying to implement the system described in the book without the training is like pissing in the ocean to try and raise the sea level.

I'm alternating the subject here back to John Savage, but I would like to point out one issue: if you are using Savage's basic business model, that of offering comprehensive financial planning (at least to the point of specifically recommending investments in franchise partnerships and the like as he did) in exchange for insurance commissions you will have to register with the state as an investment advisor.

So be careful about implementing what you read.

Last edited:
I agree that you may not or should not implement everything you read, but in general, anything by Savage is worth reading. Here are the two main things I got out of his book:

1. Annual reviews and how important they are to building relationships and repeat sales.

2. Keeping things simple.

Also, for those of you that sell life, anything by Burt Meisel is worth reading. His small book, "Pocket Full of Sales" has made me a lot of sales. It's cheap, I beleive it's still available at mdrt.org. If you sell life, check it out.

Hi I am new to selling and was reading through posts. Your philosophy of becoming expert on product is to my way of thinking as well. However, I am new to ins and am struggling with the best way to research and compare products. Any advice you can offer as to your method of analysis and comarison? Thanks Cindy

Brochures from the carriers and if possible a specimen contract that should be offer by carrier. Or just ask about a specific company and product. I'm sure you'll get pro's and con's no matter what you ask about.

Back