scan documents with auto document .....

rdavis85

Expert
Does anyone use a scanner with ADF to scan their documents in to go paperless? Which one do you use if you do?

Does anyone use a scanner with ADF to scan their documents in to go paperless? Which one do you use if you do?

I just bought an HP all in one printer that has a flatbed scanner and ADF (auto document feeder) and this one scans both sides of the document. It's a great business inkjet and only $299 minus a $150 rebate at Staples right now. Works great.

Staples.com®. that was easy®.

I use Paperport software to manage scanned documents.

Yes. I also use paperport to 'manage' the documents. Works pretty well.
I have the big brother to the scanner that Newby is talking about. Decent printer, lousy, slow scanner. Make sure whatever scanner you use has the scan heads on the same side as the adf. This particular scanner has to move the scan head all the way down the page on each page going through the adf. Alternatively, you can use digital filing directly from the printer, and it works pretty well.

Paperport gives you the option to store documents directly as a PDF (even web pages) so you can store things easily as you go. It will also OCR docs to allow you to search for things when you know you put it somewhere, but can't remember which folder.

I highly recommend paperport pro over the standard paperport. It gives you more scanner profiles, something I use a lot (duplex vs simplex, b&w vs color, different resolutions, etc).

Some suggestions:
Use at least 300 dpi. By default, paperport is set to 200, which is okay, I prefer 300.

Store everything possible in B&W rather than color. Scans are MUCH faster, storage space is MUCH less, etc. Even black and white documents need to be scanned with the scanner set for black and white, not color.

Make sure you back up on a regular basis. I suggest a nightly copy to an external harddrive and at least a weekly remote backup. Personally, I simply use SVN (subversion) to check in all of my files. I can then check them out on my laptop and have a mirrored copy. SVN is free, just need a place to host the files remotely.

Dan

I have a Brother MFC 7820N with auto feed. Its a black only laser printer/copier and scanner. I love it. My main printer is a Dell 3110cn color laser. Fantastic machine capable of way more than I will ever need.

Oh, I meant to add I use Paperport also. My Inscomm database has scanning capabilities where I can scan files right in to my client database, but I use Paperport for everything else.

Like others I use an HP all in one. Scanner works pretty well, sometimes have to break applications into parts as it struggles to scan more than 12 pages in one shot. easy to break in half and name pt1 & pt2. Use an external HD as a backup device. My goal is to find time to go back and clean up existing files and move most everything over to electronic.

After moving from an office I had for 19 years, I discovered I basically was using one room for storage that a vast majority ended up in recycling. A scanner w/backup will move that pile that ate up half an 10x12 office space.

Actually works well for securities business to as it allows me to separate insurance and securities business quickly and easier than creating two separate paper files.

I just bought an HP all in one printer that has a flatbed scanner and ADF (auto document feeder) and this one scans both sides of the document. It's a great business inkjet and only $299 minus a $150 rebate at Staples right now. Works great.

Thats what I use, a great machine, does everything well.

Back