Scared! Advice would be much appreciated.

adgoodvin

Hello!

I've finally had enough with my current career and have been curious of getting into insurance sales once more. I am currently licensed in Accidental and Health in the state of Iowa, however I no longer live in that state and am now located in Omaha, Nebraska. Although I passed my state exam and received my license, I have no experience with actually working for an insurance company.

I'd really like the chance to work for a company, and I am willing to work hard to earn my living, however I am terrorfied of the only options I've found.

With job hunting the only company I've been given a scheduled interview with is AFLAC. As someone new and inexperienced, I am unsure if I want to invest myself into an independent career. I don't feel like AFLAC would be a secure income for me, and I am scared of quitting my job, training with them, and ending up unable to pay my bills.

I simply can't stop working, because each paycheck of mine goes towards vital bills (car payment, rent, car insurance, etc etc..) and thus I am worried of relying solely on commissions once I've already spent time in classes without income.

Does anyone have any advice? Is there another company I can submit my resume to that hires agents as employees and not just send them out with brochures of their product? I'd appreciate any assistance someone may be able to provide.

Thank you all for reading,
-Adam

Hello!

I've finally had enough with my current career and have been curious of getting into insurance sales once more. I am currently licensed in Accidental and Health in the state of Iowa, however I no longer live in that state and am now located in Omaha, Nebraska. Although I passed my state exam and received my license, I have no experience with actually working for an insurance company.

I'd really like the chance to work for a company, and I am willing to work hard to earn my living, however I am terrorfied of the only options I've found.

With job hunting the only company I've been given a scheduled interview with is AFLAC. As someone new and inexperienced, I am unsure if I want to invest myself into an independent career. I don't feel like AFLAC would be a secure income for me, and I am scared of quitting my job, training with them, and ending up unable to pay my bills.

I simply can't stop working, because each paycheck of mine goes towards vital bills (car payment, rent, car insurance, etc etc..) and thus I am worried of relying solely on commissions once I've already spent time in classes without income.

Does anyone have any advice? Is there another company I can submit my resume to that hires agents as employees and not just send them out with brochures of their product? I'd appreciate any assistance someone may be able to provide.

Thank you all for reading,
-Adam

Stay away from AFLAC. Do a search on this forum for "AFLAC", pop a bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show.

I've been doing a lot of reading about AFLAC and a lot of people seem to have some pretty terrible experiences with them. On the other hand I've read posts of people saying they love working for them. So I'm torn, and terrorfied to even go to my interview next week.

I would be concerned about your saying you need to keep working for your current paycheck to pay vital bills. Realize that most insurance companies pay by commision and you do not earn that commis until they pay each month, now many compaines do advance but you need to realise that you have not earned that money yet...I guess my concern for you is that with out a cushion on money you may be setting your self up to fail. Also I couldn't tell from your post but are you licensed in the state you are currently living and mostly will be working in?

I've been doing a lot of reading about AFLAC and a lot of people seem to have some pretty terrible experiences with them. On the other hand I've read posts of people saying they love working for them. So I'm torn, and terrorfied to even go to my interview next week.

There is nothing to fear from interviewing. Study this forum and figure out the type of questions you should be asking. The answers you get may help you down the road and will better educate you as to this business. However, my advice is there are much much better places to start. Places like AIG, Western Southern, Metlife, and perhaps Combine pay some base salary at the start of a career.

There is nothing to fear from interviewing. Study this forum and figure out the type of questions you should be asking. The answers you get may help you down the road and will better educate you as to this business. However, my advice is there are much much better places to start. Places like AIG, Western Southern, Metlife, and perhaps Combine pay some base salary at the start of a career.

Well said! Aflac, can be a good experience for you. It depends on who you are and what you do. I recommend that if you choose to pursue aflac that you keep a second job to earn the income you need to pay the basics. If you can get Aflac up and running (1-2 years) then you can quit your other job and burn both ends of the candle with them. Making money with Aflac is like stealing candy from a baby so long as you have the confidence to take no 80% of the time. Aflac is where I got my start with insurance and now 6 years later I am sitting pretty because of my experiences with them.

I say to you good luck, and dont believe the "you can make 60 million billion katrillion dollars first year with us" just focus on making enough to survive and grow. You know what you need to live, and if you do not feel you can produce enough to survive it then do not pursue it.

In Omaha -check out Physicians Mutual. Even if you just interview with them, check them out, it's worth it.

Back