Scope of Appointment Instructions

Yep. If they ever send one. I called Medicare twice in the last week, tried to call cms, I've actually been attempting to find out what they think about this but they make it impossible for agents to contact CMS. CMS appears to be there to protect the carriers, not us.

Don't be surprised. Agents are evil, even the companies need protection from us.

I sent the following email to my existing Medicare Advantage and PDP clients:

New Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regulations dictate that prior to an insurance agent meeting with a client or prospect to talk about or discuss either a Medicare Advantage Plan and/or a Part D Prescription Drug Plan, a new Scope of Appointment (SOA) Form be completed prior to the meeting.

This form must be completed if:
  • you are meeting to discuss renewing or changing Medicare Advantage Health Plans
  • you have a Medicare Supplement; however, you still want a Stand Alone Prescription Drug Plan
  • you have a Medicare Supplement Plan, but would like information about Medicare Advantage Plans and/or Prescription Drug Plans
  • you are new to Medicare, and want to discuss your options for Medicare Coverage, and one of those options is Prescription Drug coverage

To complete the form:
  • initial next to the type of plan you would like to discuss when you meet with an insurance agent
    • if it is just a Part D Prescription Drug Plan - initial in that box
    • if it is a Medicare Advantage Plan - initial in that box
    • if it is to discuss both Prescription Drug Coverage and a Medicare Advantage Plan - initial both boxes
    • if you just want to discuss Medicare Supplements, and will be getting your Prescription Drug Plan elsewhere - no need to complete the form
  • Sign the bottom of the form, next to Beneficiary's Signature (each individual Medicare beneficiary must sign their own form) and enter the date that you signed the form
    • forms cannot be signed by anyone other than the Medicare Beneficiary, unless that individual has Power of Attorney regarding healthcare decisions (POA form must accompany SOA Form)
    • someone other than the Medicare Beneficiary can attend the meeting, but they must complete an SOA form as well, even though they are not on Medicare, nor interested in either a Medicare Advantage Plan nor a Prescription Drug Plan for themselves.

Good instructions. Do all your clients have email? I have many who don't have a computer. Snail mail is the planfor some. But some may not mail it back before I get there.

As it goes I'm using the form till they tell me not to, because my understanding of CMS rules is that if the document contains no plan specific benefits or carrier information, or marketing material, it is not regulated.

I just want them to confirm that.

As it goes I'm using the form till they tell me not to, because my understanding of CMS rules is that if the document contains no plan specific benefits or carrier information, or marketing material, it is not regulated.

I just want them to confirm that.

This is wasted effort. If you are not sending MA or PDP marketing material or making an appointment to conduct a sales event/presentation, etc. , then there is no need for an SOA. However, if you ARE going to market a Part C or D plan, you MUST use either the model CMS SOA or one of the approved carrier specific SOAs.

If you are just selling Med Sups, forget everything about SOAs, they are not needed.

I'm getting SOAs to make appointments for regulated products. I think possibly you misunderstood.

Back