Scope of Appointment Instructions

1 carrier here in Tennessee handed theirs out then changed it 2 days later, another one gave us an unapproved one and said they were submitting it for approval right now.

My favorite SOA's I've seen are the new 1 page ones with the checkboxes at top and signature at bottom. Maybe everyone will switch over to that, no one reads all the garbage text on them anyway.

Compliant with CMS guidelines pursuant to rule:

422.2262, 423.2262
Third party marketing materials, including materials created by agents/brokers, must be submitted to the plan sponsor prior to use for review and approval and follow the guidance in § 30.5 and 120.4. Materials that are generic in nature and do not discuss content specific to plan benefits or cost-sharing or include plan names will not require review and approval. Generic materials may reference the different product types (e.g., MA plan, MA-PD plan, section 1876 cost plan, PDPs) offered by the agent.

Got an email response today. Does not require CMS approval, or approval by any carrier or have to be submitted to their marketing department.

ksigmtsu

422.2262, 423.2262
Third party marketing materials, including materials created by agents/brokers, must be submitted to the plan sponsor prior to use for review and approval and follow the guidance in § 30.5 and 120.4. Materials that are generic in nature and do not discuss content specific to plan benefits or cost-sharing or include plan names will not require review and approval. Generic materials may reference the different product types (e.g., MA plan, MA-PD plan, section 1876 cost plan, PDPs) offered by the agent.

Got an email response today. Does not require CMS approval, or approval by any carrier or have to be submitted to their marketing department.

Way to go... You're this week's Insurance Agent Forum Agent of the Week Award Winner!!! :idea:

Did you email your form originally into CMS for approval? Can you share the email contact address at CMS?

It may be wise to file a copy for review and approval with your state DOI.

422.2262, 423.2262

This is nothing new. The regs have always been written this way. If you are planning on sending out generic material, why would you bother with a "Scope of Appointment" when it would obviously not be required?

This is nothing new. The regs have always been written this way. If you are planning on sending out generic material, why would you bother with a "Scope of Appointment" when it would obviously not be required?

If you would read the rest of the thread, this is a form I was sending out with the scope of appointment to explain to people where/how to sign it, and at the same time it suggests that they should invite other people to the appointment.

The form is intended to be followed by a MA appointment or god forbid a standalone part D appointment (which I'm trying to not do at all if I can help it).

I never thought it required approval but others on the board and even people in the carrier's office thought it might, and CMS clarified that it doesn't.

If you would read the rest of the thread, this is a form I was sending out with the scope of appointment to explain to people where/how to sign it, and at the same time it suggests that they should invite other people to the appointment.

The form is intended to be followed by a MA appointment or god forbid a standalone part D appointment (which I'm trying to not do at all if I can help it).

I never thought it required approval but others on the board and even people in the carrier's office thought it might, and CMS clarified that it doesn't.

Sorry, missed the part where this discussion is about an adjunctive form to be included with an approved SoA.

In the past couple of years, I had set appointments that were exempt from the SoA requirements, but no longer in that privileged position. I only had to have a few signed that were not set... This year, I may need to consider the need for something like this. Thank you for your information.

Last edited:
Back