Screwed by client... hurt and angry. That OK?

G

I'm so angry I could spit.

Cold-called a small mom-pop civil engineering firm early in May. She said she had group health coverage and wanted to get some options as they were thinking of going to retire. I asked who the broker was and they said they had not heard from him in a long time... and he was in Santa Barbara... 500 miles from here.

I gave them lots of quotes... both group and individual... and I gave them a lot of good advice... pros and cons. She called back a few times to ask questions.... email too. I spent 'quality time' with her going over lots of options.

Today I called back to follow up (as I did each week) and she says they spoke to their Santa Barbara broker on Friday, had a long talk with him and decided to change plans but stay with same carrier.

I put in a lot of time with her, and I'm sure she used much of the information I provided her in her talks with her broker. I feel hurt and angry.... and used. Is it OK to feel that way?

I don't think I will ever succeed in this business because I expect people to abide by the same ethical standards I hold myself to... and obviously it's just not going to happen. I would never do what she did.

I really want to write her a letter and tell her to %$#@ herself... but instead I'll write and tell her I worked hard for her and that maybe she might find it in her heart to send me a referral.

Well, maybe stuff like this is what makes the biz interesting. Do you think some corporate drone working in some corporate cube has these kinds of ups and downs?

I just hate losing. I just don't know what I should have done differently in order to win.

Al

Did you try and get an agreement for a broker of record change?

No. I was under the impression that she no longer wanted to use the broker again. Getting a broker change in CA is simple... she just faxes a letter. I didn't press for that until we decided what she was going to do. I was pretty sure she was going to drop group and go with two individual plans instead... a lot cheaper.

I would never take up a salesperson's time and resources and then give the biz to someone else. It's just not right. She should be told... but what purpose would it serve?

Al
PS: Sorry for the duplicate post. Not sure what the system did to cause it.

I'm so angry I could spit.

Cold-called a small mom-pop civil engineering firm early in May. She said she had group health coverage and wanted to get some options as they were thinking of going to retire. I asked who the broker was and they said they had not heard from him in a long time... and he was in Santa Barbara... 500 miles from here.

I gave them lots of quotes... both group and individual... and I gave them a lot of good advice... pros and cons. She called back a few times to ask questions.... email too. I spent 'quality time' with her going over lots of options.

Today I called back to follow up (as I did each week) and she says they spoke to their Santa Barbara broker on Friday, had a long talk with him and decided to change plans but stay with same carrier.

I put in a lot of time with her, and I'm sure she used much of the information I provided her in her talks with her broker. I feel hurt and angry.... and used. Is it OK to feel that way?

I don't think I will ever succeed in this business because I expect people to abide by the same ethical standards I hold myself to... and obviously it's just not going to happen. I would never do what she did.

I really want to write her a letter and tell her to %$#@ herself... but instead I'll write and tell her I worked hard for her and that maybe she might find it in her heart to send me a referral.

Well, maybe stuff like this is what makes the biz interesting. Do you think some corporate drone working in some corporate cube has these kinds of ups and downs?

I just hate losing. I just don't know what I should have done differently in order to win.

Al

These are the same people when I sold cars who I'd spend a week with and more than 10 or so hours finding the perfect car and negotiating price. They'd drag me on 6 different test drives and end up with a $100 below invoice price. Then they walk into a competing dealership and say:

"I already know the exact car I want and if you can beat this price by $100 I'll buy."

It goes with the job. You can be bitter or you can forget it and go to the next case. There are times you do everything right and still lose the business. I ALWAYS, get a "gentlemean's agreement" upfront before I do any work that if they decide to use my ideas and if I can provide the product on a competitive basis I get the business. They must agree before I start work. Most people honor that agreement.
As far as referrals, why would you want one, they didn't use you, they aren't clients, a referral is useless from these folks. Learn from it and move forward, this won't be the last time it happens to you.

I think that the same thing happens to all of us at one time or another. It sucks. Did you ask her "why" they decided to use the same broker that has not provided any type of service to them after all this time.

Let her know not to call you with new questions after they sign with the "absent broker" - she can use him/her since that is the person being paid.

That is unless you can get the broker of record change. People like that are A holes!

It goes with the job. You can be bitter or you can forget it and go to the next case. There are times you do everything right and still lose the business. I ALWAYS, get a "gentlemean's agreement" upfront before I do any work that if they decide to use my ideas and if I can provide the product on a competitive basis I get the business. They must agree before I start work. Most people honor that agreement.
As far as referrals, why would you want one, they didn't use you, they aren't clients, a referral is useless from these folks. Learn from it and move forward, this won't be the last time it happens to you.

Agreed. I ask everybody a simple "Can I earn your business if XXXXXXXX" and get a commitment. The same thing happened to me , which is why I now get an agent of record before I spend too much time when a group is involved.

Last edited:
There is nothing you can do. It happens to:

Real Estate Agents
Insurance Agents
Car Salesmen
Best Buy and Circuit City Employees
Dry Cleaners
Home Depot salespeople

A Suggestion:

Since I am not fee-based, whenever I hear, "We don't even know our agent anymore/he never comes around", I respond with,

"Mr. Jones, whenever I hear that, I wind up doing all the work, and then you put a call into this agent, who you haven't seen in years. You get the plan you want, they get the commission, and I do the work for free.

If you want me to work with you, in finding a plan that fits your needs, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail to that effect. This means that, if you select a plan I suggest, I am the agent of record. If you find something somewhere else, that's fine.

Take care"

This way, you kinda have it in writing. While that won't eliminate this from happening again, it will drastically reduce the amount of times it happens. What they are thinking is that, since it's in black and white, it's a commitment. Now, you and I know that won't hold up in court, but they don't know that.

If I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me, I wouldn't even have to sell insurance anymore.

Seriously though, I lost a really big case in exactly this manner shortly after I began, and it still stings.

Back