Seasoned Agent Unsure of my Options...please Help!

I don't have a particular "market". I used to sell to anyone who would write a check. I sold WL, term and annuities

Advisor06,

Perhaps you can put together an "ideal client profile" as your 'market'? Think back to your most enjoyable and profitable sales.

- Average age range
- Marital status
- Children?
- Resident status: rent or own?
- Average income range?
- Occupation?
- Geography - where did they live?
- Needs they wanted to solve?
- How you got the lead? (The least important aspect, but important to consider)

If it's been a while since you've met with them, you COULD go back and contact them again and do a coverage review? Normally a non-solicit agreement is in place for up to 2 years, so there is a possibility to reconnect if it's been a while. Then you could ask for professional introductions to ideal client situations, like theirs.

If you could leverage these relationships into additional contacts for similar cases... that might be all you need to be independent and work with various companies.

Advisor06, when I went indy, I had to determine what products were going to best address my clientele, but first I needed to ID a clientele. Under the same roof was a real estate and mortgage company. Having obtained P&C appointments, homeowners was a given. For each of those clients, mortgage protection was a legit product. Long story short, my present products of emphasis were all determined directly by initial ID process. When you aren't sure, just sling mud on the wall and see what sticks. Good luck, and I will be happy to share anything that may be helpful to you!

First, you should determine a target market.. Once you have done that, then you can decide how to "fish".... For example, most of the guys that specialize in Final Expense seem to use direct mail or telemarketing to create leads.. Agents that decide to work the small business market usually start out cold calling and then move to developing referrals.. But the important thing is they have a target in mind when they leave the house. I started out as more or less a generalist in the family life market.. I prospected by cold canvasing and then by working outward to the new clients family and friends. With the experience you have, you should be able to make it as an independent if you have the willpower to make yourself do the things you need to do even if you don't relish doing them.

Thanks. That is where I am clueless...I am so used to working off of a list that the company provided that I don't know where to go from there. The were mostly individuals and families with a few small business owners that I worked with. The way we were forced to sell made it difficult to create a meaningful relationship with the clients since we were forced to pedal life applications. It was more of a customer relationship rather than a client.

----------

Alot of what Rouse said. Sounds like you may have been very general or pre need?

FE seems to be doing good, from stories I've read. I've even given thought to focusing on it primarily, might be your cup of tea?

I wouldnt say I was a final expense guy but I am used to selling policies of all kinds. I wouldnt want to limit myself from opportunities that could make me more money.

----------

Advisor06,

Perhaps you can put together an "ideal client profile" as your 'market'? Think back to your most enjoyable and profitable sales.

- Average age range
- Marital status
- Children?
- Resident status: rent or own?
- Average income range?
- Occupation?
- Geography - where did they live?
- Needs they wanted to solve?
- How you got the lead? (The least important aspect, but important to consider)

If it's been a while since you've met with them, you COULD go back and contact them again and do a coverage review? Normally a non-solicit agreement is in place for up to 2 years, so there is a possibility to reconnect if it's been a while. Then you could ask for professional introductions to ideal client situations, like theirs.

If you could leverage these relationships into additional contacts for similar cases... that might be all you need to be independent and work with various companies.

Thank you for your advice. I did have a one year non compete which I just finished. I have been doing some mailings to the "clients" who I sold in addition to e-mail marketing to everyone else but I have not received much interest.

----------

Advisor06, when I went indy, I had to determine what products were going to best address my clientele, but first I needed to ID a clientele. Under the same roof was a real estate and mortgage company. Having obtained P&C appointments, homeowners was a given. For each of those clients, mortgage protection was a legit product. Long story short, my present products of emphasis were all determined directly by initial ID process. When you aren't sure, just sling mud on the wall and see what sticks. Good luck, and I will be happy to share anything that may be helpful to you!

That is why I have been discussing opportunities with NYLife and Liberty because I can sell as an independent and get contracted with any company out there but without the prospects what good are they? I feel like I could learn from them and maybe they will provide leads to keep me going while I get started. But seeing reviews I am unsure if it will be a good choice.

Thanks. That is where I am clueless...I am so used to working off of a list that the company provided that I don't know where to go from there. The were mostly individuals and families with a few small business owners that I worked with. The way we were forced to sell made it difficult to create a meaningful relationship with the clients since we were forced to pedal life applications. It was more of a customer relationship rather than a client.

----------

What type of list? People that were already "members" and had previously bought insurance through them .. Or was it just a targeted list? You can purchase a list of 1000 targeted names in the markets you desire for just a few dollars.. In fact you can get an unlimited number from List Shack for about $50 per month.. You can have name, age, income, DOB, income, home value, occupation, ect. You won't know until you call on them if they are interested in what you have to offer but it makes it seem less like a "cold" call.

What type of list? People that were already "members" and had previously bought insurance through them .. Or was it just a targeted list? You can purchase a list of 1000 targeted names in the markets you desire for just a few dollars.. In fact you can get an unlimited number from List Shack for about $50 per month.. You can have name, age, income, DOB, income, home value, occupation, ect. You won't know until you call on them if they are interested in what you have to offer but it makes it seem less like a "cold" call.

The list was members of the organization. Some already had insurance through the company and some could care less about it but we were pitched that since they were members they would be a warm call and a greater possibly to make a sale. The ages varied between 18-93.

The list was members of the organization. Some already had insurance through the company and some could care less about it but we were pitched that since they were members they would be a warm call and a greater possibly to make a sale. The ages varied between 18-93.

I'll bet you loved running into the 93 year olds.:skeptical:

Back