Secret Shopped By Insurance Companies

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
Just received an email from Universal letting agents know that they'll be secret shopping agents on top of Medicare Secret shopping agents.

I know there may have been some bad apples out there, but really, this is too much. What did these agents do for gods sake that brought this kind of wrath.

I've said it in other posts, and I'll say it again, I think they're going to be shocked when the results come in for 2012 Medicare Advantage sales. They've regulated this business right out of the market. Maybe that's what they want.

Here's part of an email I received from one insurance company that they sent out to all agents.....

Provide attendees with accurate information, not adding personal commentaries. Agents/brokers may NOT:
  • Make inappropriate statements - discussing health care reform, making jokes, comparing other health plan(s) to XXXXXX, or use absolute superlatives (e.g., "the best," "highest ranked," "the most experienced")
Now we can't even make jokes:twitchy:

We need to stick to the script. If the people are rude, I pack it up. You're there to educate them,not make jokes or hyperbole. Insurance is a serious business. There are plenty of agents in prison. The pool of clear thinking people is shrinking.

there's plenty of lawyers, acccountants, stockbrokers, politicians, etc in prison as well. You don't see any secret shopper thing going on in those industries, there are some really shady characters in every industry. I'm sorry I don't see an agent writing a health plan or a prescription drug plan waranting all this secret shopping, regulation, scope of appointment, etc. when you have, for example, a stockbroker take a seniors life savings and invest them into the highest commission products and losing a good chunk of their money

Last edited:
Provide attendees with accurate information, not adding personal commentaries. Agents/brokers may NOT:
  • Make inappropriate statements - discussing health care reform, making jokes, comparing other health plan(s) to XXXXXX, or use absolute superlatives (e.g., "the best," "highest ranked," "the most experienced")

So... you cant tell the public about the negitive ramifications of health care reform? f. that, i will until the day i die

At what point in the contract did we sign away the ability to think for ourselves as long as we're compliant with cms regulations?

f them. Ask them where it says in your contract they get to dictate your speech as long as you're compliant with marketing guidelines.

I feel that I have an obligation to educate my prospect and help them make an intelligent, well informed decision by explaining all of the different options that are available to them. I also have an obligation to myself to earn money in the process.

If I would strictly adhere to all of CMS's rules and regs I would be violating my obligation to both my prospect and me.

The whole system is specifically designed to prevent agents from doing what I think they are suppose to do and that is to help prospects. Since the e-mail stated agents can't "comparing other health plan(s) to XXXXXX", apparently CMS wants agents to pick a plan to sell and then simply become an order taker.

I see red every time I read crap like that. I didn't become an independent insurance agent to end up being CMS's butt boy and have to raise my hand every time I have to go to the bathroom. Nor will I "cram" a policy down someone's throat simply because "big brother" says I can't show them all of the options available.

I'm not a robot or an order taker. I'm a professional insurance agent who has a personality, sense of humor and a responsibility to help my prospects. If I could sell MA plans the same way I sell Med Supps I would be a lot more inclined to offer them.

The rules only apply to agents.

Not to carrier reps.

Not to Medicare.gov employees.

Only agents.

Anyone see a problem here?

Whatever happened to free speech?

Back