Secret Shopper

Has anyone on here actually been secret shopped? I’ve heard of it happening years ago and I think I may have actually had one yesterday, but this would be my first time in three years so I’m just curious to hear from the experience of those who have been doing this longer than myself. If it did happen, what tipped you off? Thanks.

Has anyone on here actually been secret shopped? I’ve heard of it happening years ago and I think I may have actually had one yesterday, but this would be my first time in three years so I’m just curious to hear from the experience of those who have been doing this longer than myself. If it did happen, what tipped you off? Thanks.

I had a suspect secret shopper at one of my seminars .It become even more obvious she was a secret shopper when she left her secret shopper notes on the table after left..She never came back to get them either however according to what was in her notes I passed with flying colors!

Heavy breathing . . .

I had 3 or 4 secret shoppers while working in a call center. The caller ID came in from 202 area code, & they started off asking me about Medicare Part C.

Last year at a local pre-AEP training, a sales manager from a national carrier said CMS wasn't paying for Secret Shoppers that year. However, the carrier he represented was, and other carriers were doing it at ther discretion.

No idea about this season.

The guy that came by that I was wondering about asked the stereotypical things you would think...
What/who is best...(depends on the person and what they can afford/want), but then he started asking about what else I sell (under 65, life, group, etc.). He also was looking at my iPad and asking questions about my internet connection (is it secure, what security measures it has to protect information). It was just weird and made me think.

I had a suspect secret shopper at one of my seminars .It become even more obvious she was a secret shopper when she left her secret shopper notes on the table after left..She never came back to get them either however according to what was in her notes I passed with flying colors!

Lol @ that. I used to be a restaurant manager and we had a lady call in all upset that she lost a receipt that she desperately needed to turn in to her employer for reimbursement. It had been well over a week, and she could remember the day she came in and what she ate, but nothing else. I was actually able to find her ticket based on what she ate and fax it to her. Turns out she was a secret shopper and her server was one I needed one more write up on before I could fire her (terrible employee). She bombed us on the shop because of the server and didn’ even bother to mention how I bent over backwards to find the receipt and get her a copy.

Was it an an event/seminar? I would say the chances of being secret shopped at an event/seminar this year are significantly less than in the past. The change in CMS requirements that all events (sales and educational) no longer have to be filed with them but only with the carrier to be audited by CMS if they decide to do so means they no longer have access to locations/dates/times etc. of any events like they did when carriers supplied them with this info. That info. is what they used to identify "targets" and send out secret shoppers. They still can and will do it for individual appointments and call centers. In general the giveaway is very specific detailed questions about things seniors normally wouldn't ask or care about.

Was it an an event/seminar? I would say the chances of being secret shopped at an event/seminar this year are significantly less than in the past. The change in CMS requirements that all events (sales and educational) no longer have to be filed with them but only with the carrier to be audited by CMS if they decide to do so means they no longer have access to locations/dates/times etc. of any events like they did when carriers supplied them with this info. That info. is what they used to identify "targets" and send out secret shoppers. They still can and will do it for individual appointments and call centers. In general the giveaway is very specific detailed questions about things seniors normally wouldn't ask or care about.

Thanks for the response. It was at a Walmart booth. I really wasn’t so much worried about how I did, because I’m fairly type A and very by the book. It was just amusing to hear the questions he was asking and how. He acted like he didn’t know much about insurance, then when I asked him what he had retired from, he said he sold life insurance.

I have been secret shopped by the same carrier the last 4 years I think (pass each time). Also by CMS once I think. Always know the plan they are interested in discussing (always a specific MAPD), call me by my legal name rather than what is printed on my business cards, are "referred" by a person whose name they can't remember, and half of the time they are calling with POA for a turning 65 person who is not interested in making the decision for themself (that is how they do it when they can't get a Medicare eligible person to be a shopper). One even said "my friend told me to ask about getting a Scope of Appointment, they said that was important". Yeah right, like anyone would say that. I can't figure out why I keep drawing the short straw. I asked this year and was told it was "random". Yeah, right. I think that they keep coming back to me to make their numbers look better ha!

Back