Secretary of the State of GA Rejected Business Name.

GAInsuranceGal

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Georgia
SOS said I needed to get approval from the Insurance Commissioner's Office first. When I called the commissioner's office, they said I had to pay $50 along with a letter of request. My question is this...

In your opinion, would you pay the $50, or just pick another name?

I was thinking about replacing "Insurance" with "Senior Benefits", but insurance flows better and not as long.

SOS said I needed to get approval from the Insurance Commissioner's Office first. When I called the commissioner's office, they said I had to pay $50 along with a letter of request. My question is this... In your opinion, would you pay the $50, or just pick another name? I was thinking about replacing "Insurance" with "Senior Benefits", but insurance flows better and not as long.
If you're forming a business, do it right. In Georgia if you have to have your company name approved by the Dept of Insurance, then do it.

Do a name search on the SOS website. If you are selling FE, it is better to have senior benefits in your name.

What's a better way to spend $50? One night out with a few friends or your biz name that will speak to ALL of your prospects/clients.

If it were me, I'd leave insurance out and use benefits because it will present a more inclusive appeal to a wider audience.

If you're forming a business, do it right. In Georgia if you have to have your company name approved by the Dept of Insurance, then do it.

Do a name search on the SOS website. If you are selling FE, it is better to have senior benefits in your name.

I did all of the research before. I did not think "Insurance" would be a problem. I wanted to use insurance in case I dived into other areas of insurance.

I did all of the research before. I did not think "Insurance" would be a problem. I wanted to use insurance in case I dived into other areas of insurance.

http://www.oci.ga.gov/ExternalResources/Forms/AllForms/GID-130-AL Resident Agency Application.pdf

Right there tells you what names require a registration with the DOI.

If $50 bucks is a big deal, then this may not be the career for you. While you should never be frivolous with your money, you do have to spend money to make money.

What's a better way to spend $50? One night out with a few friends or your biz name that will speak to ALL of your prospects/clients.

If it were me, I'd leave insurance out and use benefits because it will present a more inclusive appeal to a wider audience.

Of course I want to speak to all of my prospect, but I'm trying to think down the road in case I get into other areas of the insurance industry. If I put "Senior Benefits" or "Benefits" in my business name instead of "Insurance", isn't that limiting my audience?

Unfortunately, my funds are limited and $50 to me is a big deal. For you OGs, not so much.

Of course I want to speak to all of my prospect, but I'm trying to think down the road in case I get into other areas of the insurance industry. If I put "Senior Benefits" or "Benefits" in my business name instead of "Insurance", isn't that limiting my audience? Unfortunately, my funds are limited and $50 to me is a big deal. For you OGs, not so much.

As Vol said, it's all laid out there on the website. You need to do more thorough research next time. I think there are 7 words that need DOI approval in ga.

Also, if $50 is a lot, you are operating on a really thin margin.

Of course I want to speak to all of my prospect, but I'm trying to think down the road in case I get into other areas of the insurance industry. If I put "Senior Benefits" or "Benefits" in my business name instead of "Insurance", isn't that limiting my audience?

Unfortunately, my funds are limited and $50 to me is a big deal. For you OGs, not so much.

While it can be done, doing insurance on a shoestring budget is generally a recipe for failure. I would strongly urge you to do something else until you have the funds such that $50 isn't a huge deal.

As Vol said, it's all laid out there on the website. You need to do more thorough research next time. I think there are 7 words that need DOI approval in ga. Also, if $50 is a lot, you are operating on a really thin margin.

It was an honest mistake. Anybody could have overlooked it. Isn't she your downline?!

----------

Of course I want to speak to all of my prospect, but I'm trying to think down the road in case I get into other areas of the insurance industry. If I put "Senior Benefits" or "Benefits" in my business name instead of "Insurance", isn't that limiting my audience? Unfortunately, my funds are limited and $50 to me is a big deal. For you OGs, not so much.

Just go with Georgia Sizzle Bizzle Services.

Back