Seeking Justice for 2000 Life Ins. Policy

John Staggs

Earlier this year I heard about something called Unclaimed Property and did a search out of curiosity with my (maternal) grandparents who raised me from when I was 11 - 23 years old and sadly they passed away two months apart from each other Jan. 2000 & March 2000.

My grandmother's search results pulled up something called "DeMutualization Shares" and at first had the dollar amount of "0". A few months later it showed up $702.00. I was unaware what that meant and out of curiosity I googled "demutualization". One of the results provided was a website:

MetLife Demutualization Claims - Unclaimed Demutualized Life Insurance Proceeds

This knowledge allowed me to halt the process of claiming the property listed and find out where the $702.00 came from. I found that I was listed as the insured on a policy my grandmother had through MetLife that started April of 1993. I called the ladies who worked with us heirs to the estate back in 2000 - 2005 to find out if they knew anything about the policy and it was unknown to them. MetLife was sent via certified mail several documents. The four page document for surrendering the policy (I actually just wanted general information about the policy), a scanned copy of my Texas ID w/ SS card, a personal written letter explaining in detail all that had been discovered and a request to have information sent to me, and my grandmother's death certificate.

I was told that what I am doing is useless and I should just accept the $702.00 from the stock exchange and because I personally didn't own the life insurance policy and was merely listed as insured on it and then later became an heir, that my pursuit for some sort of justice is down right a waste of time.

I recently found that either Broadway Bank Estate Dept surrender the policy to save money cost and had MetLife direct deposit $476.00 into an account under my name. That's plausible because I do recall my trustee at the time providing me a chance to open up my own bank account there. No record in their archived files shows anything about the policy. I found information online that MetLife would cancel or terminate a policy if monthly premiums weren't provided and that might be the case. MetLife didn't contact us heirs of the estate or Broadway Bank directly to talk about the fact that the policy was used on the Stock Exchange up until 2003 when and then it was posted as property of the state of Texas Comptrollers Offices and shown as Unclaimed Property.

I was informed that statue of limitations is against me but I didn't even realize that such things existed until February 2018 so not being aware of the policy existing and MetLife demutualization in 2000 doesn't apply against me and I won't back down on my pursuit of justice.

MetLife agents and the supervisor/manager named Doris have stalled the process of my request to find out general policy information, the microfilm of who and how my name was used to surrender the policy (either broadway bank initiated the surrender or MetLife did), and the policy information so I can find out through BrightHouse what was done back in 2000 - 2003 with the shares on the stock market.

I'm fully aware of the 2012 Global Resolution Agreement:

https://www.sco.ca.gov/Files-EO/MetLife_GRA_041312.pdf

Signed by MetLife & Prudential is a document showing they are accepting fault and resolution to the fact that during 2000 and before that, Metlife didn't use the Death database(s) to pursue that #1. My grandmother had deceased Jan. 14, 2000 and provide notice of the demutualization to either my grandfather who was still alive until March of 2000. #2. Metlife didn't pursue providing correspondence to Broadway Bank that the policy was going to be used on the stock exchange (if they did it would have been incorporated into the estate) or didn't provide in general the aspect that they acknowledged either my grandmother's death or my name as insured on that policy.

MetLife agents have stalled the process of me receiving any correspondence since Sept 2018 since they have received proof and request for myself to receive the mail. They mailed out the documents on October 12, 2018 to an address reflecting my very first apartment when I was 23 in San Antonio and won't (even though they have document proof that I don't live there anymore) they have told me they won't change the address to my present address in Austin.

Folks, this ordeal i'm under has been so frustrating and soul consuming and how insulting for MetLife to illogically stamp down some authorization that I don't have anymore rights to receive correspondence to my current address in 2018. I am looking for anyone out there who can provide some sorta insight or helping hand because I know that Doris, the manager I spoke with on the phones, isn't going to give me a straight answer tomorrow November 1st, 2018 for why in the last 5 business days, she cant acknowledge sending documentation to my present address in Austin, Texas.

I think Broadway Bank and MetLife both know that wrong doing was done back in 2000 and they don't realize that I actually have a logic to my request of information. I backed out of claiming those demutualization shares because MetLife is under penalty for mishandling the entire life insurance policy. My grandparents didn't have a chance to vote for the demutualization since my grandmother because ill and was stuck in a hospital during the time in 1999 when things were being discussed with policyholders. She died in January 2000 and demutualization occured in April of 2000. A direct deposit of $476 was done early November of 2000 into a bank account under my name without myself knowing what the heck was going on. I have arrived at this moment in time seeking justice from my fellow human beings that aren't subjects to the matters at hand and can provide possibly some help.

Please help me out: John Staggs, Austin, Texas [email protected]

I have arrived at this moment in time seeking justice from my fellow human beings that aren't subjects to the matters at hand and can provide possibly some help.

People who write that way are typically looking for a free lawyer to fight the good fight. Not gonna happen.

No lawyer is going to read this and jump up and volunteer.

You're going to have to call around from the phone book and see if you can get at least a free consultation with a lawyer and then decide if it's worth paying his fees.

Unfortunately, you are probably so far beyond any statute of limitations that there would be no way that you'll ever be successful with a lawsuit if that's what you're asking.

Take the cash and go live your life.

Its hard to follow you since you definitely have terminology mixed up. But it sounds like the policy was Surrendered prior to death.

It sounds like it was a variable life insurance policy that was invested in the market... There's lots of things that could have caused them to decide on surrendering it instead of keeping it going. To second-guess that decision, 2 decades later, with zero knowledge or understanding of the situation, is immature and unproductive.

If the cash value Surrendered only amounted to less than $1,000... That means the policy was imploding and needed substantial amounts of additional Premium to keep it going. That makes sense considering that the stock market was crashing in those years.

MetLife did not need your permission to surrender the policy if you were just the insured.

It also sounds like they reached out to you about this when it all happened and you failed to take the time to understand what was going on. Now two decades later, you suddenly care? Grow up.

Oh wowzers, you think I knew about this in 2000? I'm just finding out about this ordeal because unclaimed property was posted on the state comptroller's website. Grow up, Sheesh, I'm 41 years old and the life insurance policy was back in 2000 when I was 23 and didn't have ABSOLUTELY ANY KNOWLEDGE about the policy and the shares.

Once again, the general information of the policy and how it was handled back in 2000 is still a mystery to me as I seek out help in finding out stuff.

Sounds like you are making assumptions that I even was given acknowledgement by the trustee of the estate of what was happening. I have every right to find out what the heck these mere $702 demutualizaton shares regarded and stop making assumptions that you know about something I didn't even know about back in 2000. It's 2018 not 2000 and I have every right to pursue this as heir to my grandmother's estate and won't give up.

Oh wowzers, you think I knew about this in 2000? I'm just finding out about this ordeal because unclaimed property was posted on the state comptroller's website. Grow up, Sheesh, I'm 41 years old and the life insurance policy was back in 2000 when I was 23 and didn't have ABSOLUTELY ANY KNOWLEDGE about the policy and the shares.

Once again, the general information of the policy and how it was handled back in 2000 is still a mystery to me as I seek out help in finding out stuff.

Sounds like you are making assumptions that I even was given acknowledgement by the trustee of the estate of what was happening. I have every right to find out what the heck these mere $702 demutualizaton shares regarded and stop making assumptions that you know about something I didn't even know about back in 2000. It's 2018 not 2000 and I have every right to pursue this as heir to my grandmother's estate and won't give up.

How much of your money are you willing to spend to try to get more of your grandmother's money? That may sound cheeky, however, it is a valid question. How much is the principle of the matter worth to you?

I'm going to post this and stop reviewing threads projected to make me out into some schemer.

#1. The estate of my grandparents closed out for me in 2005. Yes, I did receive an inheritance. Did the paperwork include anything about MetLife Life Insurance policy surrender..... No

#2. I have every right to pursue an investigation into stock exchange usage I didn't know went forward back in 2000. MetLife didn't inform myself, my trust department, or my cousins about this.

#3. You all can say this isn't worth pursuing because of some dollar amount and the stock exchange was horrible for 2000 - 2003. I've actually already read about MetLife and Prudential and other insurance companies banking it those years.

#4. I was told that my signature was used to direct deposit the surrendering cash from the life insurance policy my grandmother had on me. Was I told about the demutualization process and given rights to be informed and govern what could have gone forward with the stocks. NO

#5. I've already placed a complain tonight on The Texas Department of Insurance's webpage and made an online complaint regarding MetLife inability to provide me policy information and how it came about that shares were created and then dumped out as unclaimed property that I didn't find out about until this year in February.

#6. What right does anyone at MetLife or the Trust have to have not informed me about the policy and the direction they took back in 2000 be a legal ordeal?

Well short and sweet... .what do you want to happen?

clearly you're upset. but what are you really upset about?

More importantly, what things that you are upset about that actually have a consequence for somebody else?

As I read your posts, I don't see anything you can gain monetarily or emotionally. So what do you want to happen?

You said in your post that you were contacted back then and offered an account under your name:

I recently found that either Broadway Bank Estate Dept surrender the policy to save money cost and had MetLife direct deposit $476.00 into an account under my name. That's plausible because I do recall my trustee at the time providing me a chance to open up my own bank account there.

So you were contacted about it back then. That was the time to ask questions and get info. Not two decades later. Life doesnt offer mulligans.

Take the cash and go live your life.

Its hard to follow you since you definitely have terminology mixed up. But it sounds like the policy was Surrendered prior to death.

It sounds like it was a variable life insurance policy that was invested in the market... There's lots of things that could have caused them to decide on surrendering it instead of keeping it going. To second-guess that decision, 2 decades later, with zero knowledge or understanding of the situation, is immature and unproductive.

If the cash value Surrendered only amounted to less than $1,000... That means the policy was imploding and needed substantial amounts of additional Premium to keep it going. That makes sense considering that the stock market was crashing in those years.

MetLife did not need your permission to surrender the policy if you were just the insured.

It also sounds like they reached out to you about this when it all happened and you failed to take the time to understand what was going on. Now two decades later, you suddenly care? Grow up.

I don’t think the $702 is cash value. Usually those old Met Life UL policies crashed and went all the way to zero value. They were way underfunded.

The $702 was the Met Life shares they received as payment for selling their ownership of the company when it demutualized. It was completely separate from any policy values.

Back