Selling Copayment Vs Percentage for Advanced Imaging

Nov 28, 2016

1. wehotex

wehotex Guru

State:
    Texas
    The local Humana Medicare PPO features a $255-325 range for radiology services such as CT, MRI, etc. Of course, the other competitors (AETNA PPO & Care Improvement) are smart enough to feature a 20% coinsurance and look alike on paper. The prospect asked me about the charge for CT scans. When I visited a local imaging center, I got nowhere by asking questions to the Billing Dept since there are so many possibilities. So, I don't know which charge is the lesser? I'd like to think that the HUMANA copayment works out to be cheaper, but I have my doubts. Anybody have any experience with this?

wehotex, Nov 28, 2016
  2. agentjhc

agentjhc Guru

State:
    Georgia
    Recently someone posted a link for typical medical costs (Somarco or Sman?).

agentjhc, Nov 28, 2016
  3. goillini52

goillini52 MAGA...BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois

I had a Cat Scan in May and it was $2,680. Looks like Humana's the better deal on that procedure.

4. wehotex

wehotex Guru

State:
    Texas
    Yikes, with insurance?

wehotex, Nov 29, 2016
  5. goillini52

State:
    Illinois

Yes.................when they got done, I asked them what year it was. Felt like I was in a time machine.

6. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    vic120, Nov 29, 2016
  7. FLM2

FLM2 Guru

It sounds like it was done at a hospital outpatient facility rather than Imaging Center, the cost difference is substantial

FLM2, Nov 29, 2016
  8. goillini52

State:
    Illinois

Yes it was.................

9. ICACharleston

ICACharleston Expert

I make it clear that the percentages are based on the Medicare approved amount. I illustrate this to prospects with an old EOB for a scan my wife had some time ago. The billed amount was $656 or so, Medicare approved $150 and she paid thirty bucks. So what she actually paid was 20% of twenty percent. We all know these fees and medicare approved amounts aren't linear or consistent but people feel comfortable.
    I have plans with flat rates as well as percentages but the illustration relieves people.

10. yogooglethis

yogooglethis Guru

State:
    Florida

In North Fl. complex imaging such as MRI,CT at the 20% co insurance of ma plans are around 50.00 -75.00 at freestanding imaging centers and about double that at a hospital imaging center