Selling During the Holiday Season

You have to admire somebody like that. Instead of being on the dole, he's paying his own way. Too bad more able bodied Americans aren't doing the same.

Not exactly...

As I recall, he was the beneficiary of a program designed to help the blind. He had to work, but I don't believe he earned near enough to live on.

But yes, I do admire him for working. And I admire all the people over the years who were honest when faced with such an easy situation to be dishonest.

Some of those programs for the blind are REALLY good.

My father is legally blind. He has run the Orange County Courthouse Cafeteria for the past 35 years... and it's certainly been a blessing. (Just under $1m in annual revenue and as many as 15 employees.) It's one of the top locations in the entire state.

Other locations... not as good. Sometimes they aren't treated as a real business to be run, so the success of the location could be very dependent on how the operator "sees" the program (pardon the pun) and how they can make changes to improve sales.

Years and years and years ago, a damn long time ago, when I was kid we had a guy in town who was deaf and he sold shoes door to door. He'd carry a large sample case with him and take orders, he seemed to do ok. My uncle who was also deaf knew him and taught me the alphabet in sign. Years later when I became driving age I would occasionally pick him up and drive him across town.

Back in the old days(mid 70's) when we could accept cash, I sold an older blind couple Med Supps. They handed me a wad of cash and had me count out what their premium was for 6 months.

I chewed them out for having that kind of cash on hand..that people could rob or cheat them. He told me that he could tell by the sound of my voice that he could trust me.

Boy, did I fool him!:twitchy: Just kidding...:)

For the longest time, a blind man ran a snack counter at UT on the Hill. He basically took people at their word about what they gave him. He had tricks on how he folded bills so he could give change. I seem to recall hearing that students and staff looked out for him too, that someone didn't try to cheat him.

I sold a Med Supp to a blind woman once. She too paid me in cash. The part that confuses me to this day is that she took the cash out of her wallet and then, with each piece, she would feel it and then hold it up to her ear and listen to the crinkle of it. She counted out the money perfectly! :biggrin:

I sold a Med Supp to a blind woman once. She too paid me in cash. The part that confuses me to this day is that she took the cash out of her wallet and then, with each piece, she would feel it and then hold it up to her ear and listen to the crinkle of it. She counted out the money perfectly! :biggrin:

Haven't you heard the expression, "money talks"? :laugh:

Back