Selling Health to Temp Workers

Golddoor

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texico
I stopped in a temp staffing office doing B to B a couple of days ago and left my flyer and had the owner call me today wanting to find out if I can get temp workers covered under a group health insurance plan. He said he had around 3 to 4 hundred temp employees and he want to help some of them with some type of health insurance benefit. I told him I didnt think group would be an option. And told him I would get back with him with what his options are if any. What options do I have other than maybe some Ind plans? but then Im sure the charge backs would be plentifull?

What state are you in? However it probably does not matter. Most group policies require workers to put in 30 hours a week.

However, you might be able to get them some coverage (not a lot and hardly enough... but better than nothing) with voluntary supplemental insurance. I write with with Colonial (www.coloniallife.com) and while it is NOT a replacement for major med (and Colonial is a stand-up company and won't sell their entire product line in companies that don't have some kind of group health) there may be a some coverage that is availabe through workplace sups.

If I were you I'd try to get a census of all the temp workers and contact them individually and try to write them with IFP. Many (most?) temp workers are usually young and healthy so you might be able to put each one in a HDHP with HSA and they will love you for it.

Al
http://www.InsuranceSolutions123.com

I have a few temp companies that we have written group minimeds for, with SRC. (An Aetna company)

It is a regular copay plan, just has lower policy limits. It is definitely worth looking at.

I know that some of the larger staffing firms in LA offer benefits. Not sure what the guidelines WRT longetevity are though.

As mentioned earlier, one problem that they could run into is not enough workers wanting the plan for one reason or another, like high cost/low income, covered by spouse, etc.

I have a few temp companies that we have written group minimeds for, with SRC. (An Aetna company)

It is a regular copay plan, just has lower policy limits. It is definitely worth looking at.

The Aetna Minimed is a good idea I will look into it. Thanks!!

Last edited:
other alternative

you could give them short term insurance as a stop gap. The caveat with the Blue Cross short term that I sell is that you can only do it for a max of 12 months. You have to pay up front with a credit card for the # of months, but can keep reapplying until 12 months is exhausted. Good for all & is about half the price of regular insurance for those who can't afford it right now.

suggest it & it gives you a reason to stay in touch. Plus - only 5 questions on app & no underwriting if all answers are "no". I have a website link I use to sign them up.

you could give them short term insurance as a stop gap. The caveat with the Blue Cross short term that I sell is that you can only do it for a max of 12 months. You have to pay up front with a credit card for the # of months, but can keep reapplying until 12 months is exhausted. Good for all & is about half the price of regular insurance for those who can't afford it right now.

suggest it & it gives you a reason to stay in touch. Plus - only 5 questions on app & no underwriting if all answers are "no". I have a website link I use to sign them up.

Sorry Im not appointed with BC and refuse to get appointed with them. But yea I was kind of thinking short term but just not BC. Thanks for the advice though!!

Last edited:
short term

Assurant has short term as do many others - as long as you can do the app online & make it very easy for you & the low premium - it's a win-win.

Back