Selling Individual to Businesses

jbage

What state are you in? Can't do it in TX? Unless you want TDI knockin' on your door.

...Employee number two comes down with the same condition as employee five has. Let's assume they are in the same title, rank, etc. In a conversation number two says, man I am sure glad I have that $30 copay for "X" drug. Employee number five, what are you talking about, I have been paying $800 a month out of my pocket for the last 3 months.loyee five happy, No. Does employee 2 start wondering why the boss ditched the group plan, yes. Is the owner happy, no. Would he be happy with the agent, no.

BINGO!!! This is for the most part why I shy away from approaching group situations with vigor. Also, for possible (most probable) declines of course, as FL has no risk pool. Even if they did and I put one or two employees in the risk pool, what you said would be a fear of mine.

jbage

What state are you in? Can't do it in TX? Unless you want TDI knockin' on your door.

I'm licensed in Texas and 34 other states. Grew up in the biz running leads all over Texas. Happen to have been the "snitch" who turned in Jimmy Walker's group over this very issue. A good friend of mine happened to be working for the AG's office following law school, so I brought this issue to her attention. AG's office sued the pants off of AHU, based on misrepresentation of individual plans as group! But very disappointed in AG for letting the case fizzle out with a little slap on the wrist.

So long as the employer cuts all strings to sponsorship, they can do whatever the hell they want, as there is no law requiring sponsorship. On the other hand, if there is one iota of sponsorship, then if it looks and smells like group, you'd better go group--for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread (except margarita's)
:laugh:

I'm licensed in Texas and 34 other states. Grew up in the biz running leads all over Texas. Happen to have been the "snitch" who turned in Jimmy Walker's group over this very issue. A good friend of mine happened to be working for the AG's office following law school, so I brought this issue to her attention. AG's office sued the pants off of AHU, based on misrepresentation of individual plans as group! But very disappointed in AG for letting the case fizzle out with a little slap on the wrist.

So long as the employer cuts all strings to sponsorship, they can do whatever the hell they want, as there is no law requiring sponsorship. On the other hand, if there is one iota of sponsorship, then if it looks and smells like group, you'd better go group--for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread (except margarita's)
:laugh:

Correct me if I am wrong (I have no doubt that you will)

Jimmy Walker was the owner of United Benefit Life, not AHU.

His marketing organization was Insurance Advisors.

Last edited:
4. A medical reimbursement plan can be installed ON TOP OF a 125 plan (hey moron-are you listening?)

Since we're getting into technical issues here and there are lots of neophytes on this forum, you aren't literally installing a 125 plan with an HRA "on-top", which leads you to think they might be connected somehow.... like HSA's affect Section 125 plans.... HRA's DO NOT affect Sec 125 plans other than they reimbursement cannot come from BOTH plans, but only one. (Man.... I'm not sure that isn't MORE confusing).

Same in Texas. Can't use an HRA to reimburse premium. Some other states do allow it is my understanding.

I don't write in Texas, but HRA's are federally governed and State law doesn't supercede, so how does Texas NOT allow for premiums for "INDIVIDUAL" plans? Please note I said individual !!!! I'm asking here... because I'm not sure that's true, but am curious to understand the letter of the law if it is.

The bottom-line is that each year as premiums grow by 8-12% there will be more and more employers that want OUT of this nonsense... ANY ideas on how to do it will at least be given an "ear".... I am sensing this will is but the beginning of employers that will say..... "When a benefit becomes a hassle, it's no longer a benefit and get me the hell out".

Ciao

Expat:
You're correct. My bad. AHU is obviously JC's marketing machine.

In response to other comments, for one thing, in case you haven't noticed, there is some overlapping legislation from state to fed that causes great confusion and the eggheads working at various state ins. departments seem utterly clueless about the problem existence, much less its fix.

:err:

And yes, no question but that individual is the wave of the future for a variety of reasons. Employers will start to feel better and better about dropping their group as soon as the guy down the street drops his.

It's just a question of who has the ying-yangs to get the ball rolling. Net result of this mess is that more and more people are going to be in need of that big mythical "safety net."
:swoon:

Back