Selling LTC Face to Face?

Does it exist anymore as a lead product generated via mailer leads?

I purchased a sales guide published back in 2005, but wonder if the model is still valid.

I would think it is very rare. The average age went younger with LTC. Even a captive shop like Bankers Life focuses on different products now I believe. At least that is how it looks to me.

Does it exist anymore as a lead product generated via mailer leads?

I purchased a sales guide published back in 2005, but wonder if the model is still valid.
Dave: If you would post this question in the LTC forum, you might get more attention from those that might be in the know.. I quit selling LTC when I got out of the Medicare business..

Can't say if it is a "lead" product or not. Certainly there are agents where LTCi is their focus and primary product. I suspect any interest in the product is triggered emotionally. The individual, or someone close to them, is under care and going through money like a sieve.

There are far fewer carriers offering the product now. Prices are considerably higher. Underwriting can be tougher than in the past. The sales gestation time line is generally months, or longer.

On the other hand there is good residual income but it can take years to build up. Much longer than the Medicare market.

As you know, I am not an agent. These comments may have a value commensurate with what you paid for them. :)

There are two members who post regularly in the LTC forum. (ltcadvisor and mr_ed) Their comments suggest to me that one could develop two different views of the market. Mr_ed has written a book, but I think it is a buyers book rather than a sellers book.

I think they both generate leads from websites. I think you could spend some time on their sites and see what two successful agents think are important pieces of information for consumers considering that product; relating that to your experience with mailing and f2f selling.

In regard to direct mail, I wonder. Is FE more of a "snap judgement" than LTCi? Are people more likely to just say "Yeah, I can hear about life insurance (or burial insurance)" and send a card back than they would be for LTCi? If so, the website spideweb trap might turn out to be better. And does the age/wealth of prospects make a difference in response to mailings?

And it seems to be an underwritten product. (I still have to "study" for my "nurse visit").
These are perhaps jaundiced views, but:

Based on comments an agent made on site about the failure of an applicant to pass a life insurance physical exam, the companies expect 60-70 year olds to be in 50 year old physical shape.

The reading I have done about cognitive testing suggests to me that it expects the mental acuity, awareness of time and current events, and social engagement of the 50 year old employed person, even when that is not necessarily necessary for a sucessful 60s-70s retired lifestyle.

So I think qualifying for the product will definitely be more of a challenge that it may have been for your fe prospects. Whether that has any bearing on card vs website or just makes it more difficult to "get the sale", I don't know.

Latest posts

Back