Selling MA-only plans to VA, TriCare and TriCare for Life Clients

RunnerDude

Super Genius
Does anyone have experience selling MA-only plans to clients who have VA, Tricare and Tricare for life benefits. I have heard mixed information regarding whether it is appropriate or not. Some say it will mess up their benefits, and others say that it will not. I have several prospects for AEP, but need to get a clear understanding before I pursue it.

I am in the VA system and I put myself on a MA only for 2018 and the MAPD for 2019 because it’s a richer plan with smaller copay. I’ve used a doc-in-a-box a couple times for convenience and an outside dermatologist because at the VA the screening is pretty minimal and done by a resident.

Does anyone have experience selling MA-only plans to clients who have VA, Tricare and Tricare for life benefits. I have heard mixed information regarding whether it is appropriate or not. Some say it will mess up their benefits, and others say that it will not. I have several prospects for AEP, but need to get a clear understanding before I pursue it.

Even though I'm a disabled vet and get all of my care through the VA (with $8 prescriptions if needed), and don't pay anything other than the prescriptions, I think there may be some VA vets that have some sort of copays or something. Maybe they are not really considered disabled or whatever.

So, in my situation, it would be foolish for me to pick up any insurance plan if I want to continue to get all of my care at the VA. Now, if I want to go outside of the VA, then it would probably make sense. Of course, the VA now has programs where you can get care outside of the VA, so that may throw in some more monkey wrenches in there.

TRICARE for Life Handbook April 2019 might help my understanding is it can work and have done a few in the past no problems. Usually they are after the extras not available with TRICARE and know how to play it.

Also pulled this off Medicare.gov

If you join a

A Medicare Advantage plan that offers Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D), Part A, and Part B benefits in one plan.

>Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug (MA-PD) Plan
, the plan and TRICARE may coordinate their benefits if your MA plan network pharmacy is also a TRICARE network pharmacy. For more information, contact the TRICARE Pharmacy Program.

TRICARE for Life Handbook April 2019 might help my understanding is it can work and have done a few in the past no problems. Usually they are after the extras not available with TRICARE and know how to play it.

Also pulled this off Medicare.gov

If you join a

A Medicare Advantage plan that offers Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D), Part A, and Part B benefits in one plan.

>Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug (MA-PD) Plan
, the plan and TRICARE may coordinate their benefits if your MA plan network pharmacy is also a TRICARE network pharmacy. For more information, contact the TRICARE Pharmacy Program.

It only mentions coordination with the drug pharmacy. Do not put them on a MAPD.

In Southern California, veterans can use some local doctors and facilities such as UC Irvine which has an excellent reputation. I know this from a friend who uses the VA but went to UC Irvine for cancer treatment.

Also, veterans can have a MAPD plan and use both. Local doctors for minor ailments so they don't have to drive miles away to a veteran facility.

In Southern California, veterans can use some local doctors and facilities such as UC Irvine which has an excellent reputation. I know this from a friend who uses the VA but went to UC Irvine for cancer treatment.

Also, veterans can have a MAPD plan and use both. Local doctors for minor ailments so they don't have to drive miles away to a veteran facility.

this is all over

Some don't like to use VA for anything dep on area, Some use VA for everything but add $0 prem plan for dental Gym and or glasses, Some just want to know they have cov for outside docs and hosp just in case

It does not affect Va benefits so why not

However, Tricare is whole different ballgame these I don't touch

Back