Selling Medicare, Life & Health Plans in a Retail Setting... Good Deal for an Agent?

Once Walmart's purchase closes, they'll sign up unwitting Medicare eligibles right in their checkout lines: "You want health coverage with that, honey? No, I don't need any other info we don't already have on you..."

Wouldn't that be a CMS violation?

Perhaps the robot scanner should first offer an SOA to sign before signing them up for a plan?

The problem is no successful insurance agent in their right mind with two dollars to their name wants to be seen sitting in a booth at Walmart selling anything!

In the earlier days of AEP, agents didn't have to pay to sit in the Walmart booth. I believe it was 3 years ago the FMO's started charging $500. Now with that in mind, my FMO knows their are no MA's in my county. Yet they ask me if I would be interested in manning the booth for $500? $500 to sell Part D's??

Wouldn't that be a CMS violation?

Perhaps the robot scanner should first offer an SOA to sign before signing them up for a plan?

Weekly circulars target-emailed to Medicare-eligible shoppers (you KNOW Walmart already knows...) will contain SOA content, sprinkled among notices of specials on quarter-kegs of Tide & 5 lb. packages of jerky. Checking a box agreeing to continue receiving Walmart ads doubles as SOA signature, so signup is completed at checkout without a hitch. Problem solved!

IF Walmart buys Humana and hopes to be a threat to PRAA / UHC that would be a good trick.

When I was active in the U65 health insurance game brokers were complaining about eHellth. They bemoaned the fact they could not compete.

I just kept on writing business on folks who wanted something more than a rate quote.

PRAA / UHC is not my competition and Walmart / Humana won't be either.

IF Walmart buys Humana and hopes to be a threat to PRAA / UHC that would be a good trick.

When I was active in the U65 health insurance game brokers were complaining about eHellth. They bemoaned the fact they could not compete.

I just kept on writing business on folks who wanted something more than a rate quote.

PRAA / UHC is not my competition and Walmart / Humana won't be either.

Preach it

Like StephanieCJ, last year was my first AEP and I worked a Walmart booth. For new agents, I think they can be great if you work the staff and are in the right area of town.

I was in a visible location in the store until the last week when a new store manager moved me and that killed the momentum. Also, I still go by and say hello to the staff and I’ve had a few referrals from them.

I did however conduct appointments there. I realize I missed a couple of passersby doing this. I did this because I already had a second AEP venue booked (not a Walmart) and had very little time outside of the events. I would not have been able to keep up if I only prospected there. Maybe I overbooked my events but what else did I have to do? I didn’t know if I would see anyone at all and was afraid of not staying busy.

I was not charged anything by my FMO and probably wouldn’t have done it otherwise since I already had another location lined up and was still scouting. That being said, I wrote more at Walmart than my second location.

It was pointed out in an earlier post that “successful” agents wouldn’t be caught working a Walmart – no one starts out successful. I’m still undecided on how to handle it this year. I can host AEP again at my second location and believe I can find more locations. I also think one more year at Walmart might be a good idea.

Beyond that, I was recently approached about going captive with UHC - fed leads, marketed, promised sizeable territory, etc. This was really tempting because I could probably build my book quicker. At some point, a retail location would have been involved. I really had to think about this one and consider the price to be paid. In the end, I decided against it for several reasons but the main one was I wanted my freedom.

Back