Selling NY Med Supps and MA's

Jessica Durphy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Kentucky
Hello Guys,

It's been a while. I've been a busy beaver lately, Praise God! :)

I had an opportunity handed to me a while ago, which prompted me to get my Non-Resident license for NY. Another agent, a P&C agent, who had his agency given to him by his retired dad... this agent doesn't do anything with Med Supps or MA plans, honestly, he's not the aggressive type at all! He's content to have his business just the way it is. In conversation, he said to me: "Maybe once you get your license for Med Supps here in NY, we could work out some deal where I give you all the Seniors in my clientbase, for some portion of the commission... " I don't know if I'll do that... but anyway, that's not the question at hand...

I've done some research on the other agents in town and some agents within a couple hours of where I live or our agency is located, and I'm not running into any other local agents that deal with Seniors at all. Some are obviously licensed to sell it, but they don't take the initive to market it. The nearest one is in Buffalo, which is a good 2 and half hours away...

I'm meeting with a lady who works in the Dept of Aging over in Cattaragus County, NY. But I was wondering if any other agents who sell in NY would have any helpful information for me?!

If my studies are right and what I have gleaned from others, it seems like NY is community based not age attained! Which made me feel really apprehensive, because it's not like I can actually save people money...the only "pro" that I can offer them is to have a LOCAL agent, instead of calling an 800 number with someone who may not speak good English! That may even be wrong.. I've gotten on Ritter's website and ran some false quotes to see about different companies and different rates, and no matter what I put in the quote, it all comes out the same.

Sorry for being long winded, but I'd truly love some insight from others who work in NY and have had success marketing and selling there! Thanks in advance for any helpful, useful, advice!:)
</IMG>

NY is all guaranteed issue all day every day with continuous open enrollment on the Medicare supps. Virtually everyone has the AARP plan F or an Advantage plan (or medicaid).

Upstate NY is worked over HARD by a lot of agents and I think you're in for a surprise. Feel free to give me a call (PM me if you don't still have my number) and I can talk it over with you a bit.

The short version is if you have deals handed to you then great, if not, I'd stay the heck out of it. I'll give you the long version if you give me a call ;)

Work your own backyard. Enough there to keep you busy. And cross sell annuities.

Back