Selling on Web question?

I think there needs to be a clarification about "Selling" on the Web.

We all do it different ways:

Selling on the Web #1:

You've established a website that can:
  • provide carrier and product information
  • accept online quote requests
  • routes the quote requests, via internet or phone
With this method, you have basically no contact with the prospective client, or so they think. They fill in the information, then click on OK, to have "a local" agent contact them. These are "tire-kickers", people shopping on the internet, because they believe they are going directly through the company, eliminating the middle man. When you call them, and they realize they are not talking to a Customer Service Rep, and you are a commission-earning agent, the walls of resistance come up, and they tell you to "mail" them the quote, or to "call" back later.

Volume-wise, it's an excellent way to earn money, while never, or rarely, leaving the confines of your house; whereby you can make your own hours. If you are with an agency, or have sub-agents, it's POYFECT.

Selling on Web #2:

You have a website presence, that promotes your company, the names of the Insurance Carriers perhaps, and the different lines you carry. There may, or may not, be a fillable form for the prospective member to complete and e-mail to you. You have your contact information, should anyone want to call or email. You may have a page or two of information, maybe a blog, that people can view.

Volume-wise, it's okay, but it's more of a "go to my website" to get information, or to send a RFP to you, rather than you having to schlep all over town to hand deliver those forms. You are on the phone, or in front of the prospective client more, and there is more opportunity to build a relationship. The site is more of an "auxiliary" you, rather than a "web" you. If you are an independent, or sole-proprietor, this is the ticket. It's not replacing you, but still allowing you to be there, in front of your prospects, when you are unable to be there in person. What you may lose in initial volume, you more than make up for in persistency. Clients don't drop you as quickly, and tend to let you offer them affiliated products.

Selling on Web #3:

You don't have a website, all you have is the unique link that each provider e-mails to you, so that you can send it to your prospects, when they are ready to fill out an application. You don't want the internet to take the place of you, and you still do alot of face to face, only digressing when it's application time, telling your prospects that an online application is a win-win situation, because they can do it at their leisure, and you can be "in the loop" as to follow up.

Volume-wise, it doesn't register, but that's not important to you. You still have paper apps in your file boxes in your trunk and at your office for people to fill out and mail in to you. This keeps you in control every step of the way, and builds you as the "expert" in this area to your clients. The web actually hampers your relationship, and your feeling is, "if I can't go to them, or have them mail me the paperwork personally, then what kind of service am I really providing?", and you have a valid point.

It depends on you, as an individual, as to what way is best.

For me, personally, I am a #2 type. To me, personally, a #1 is just out for volume, and cares less about building a relationship, and a #3 is a dinasour, not willing to change with the times.

My two cents worth.

:GEEK:

With this method, you have basically no contact with the prospective client, or so they think. They fill in the information, then click on OK, to have "a local" agent contact them. These are "tire-kickers", people shopping on the internet, because they believe they are going directly through the company, eliminating the middle man. When you call them, and they realize they are not talking to a Customer Service Rep, and you are a commission-earning agent, the walls of resistance come up, and they tell you to "mail" them the quote, or to "call" back later.

The web actually hampers your relationship, and your feeling is, "if I can't go to them, or have them mail me the paperwork personally, then what kind of service am I really providing?", and you have a valid point.

Man oh man, you sure are an expert for someone that professes not to buy leads or use internet marketing.

Somebody told you this crap
?

None of it could be further from the truth. It reminds me of a fairy tale.

It's 2008 babe. Time to get modern, or (eventually) get gone.

Instead of facilitating your unemployment group, you'll be joining it.

Never claimed to be an expert, and, no I don't 100% believe this "crap" as you put it. If you look on my Volume-wise meter, I profess that the more internet you have, the more sales you make.

If unemployed people make you that uncomfortable, then you have a problem. No, I don't hang around them all the time, just when I run my meetings on Tuesday evenings, and on occasion when I poke my head in on the Friday group.

It's quite apparent that your comprehension skills are lacking, if you think that I believe the internet hampers the sales process, and that I ONLY hang out with unemployed people.

I am also involved in three "Meetup.com" local groups, as well as a few Toastmaster groups.

Obviously, I struck a chord.

The main purpose of my entry was just to "clarify" selling on the web. As you may have seen, if you would have read the end of my post, I do believe in having a web presence, but for ME, and ME ALONE, I fall somewhere in the middle.

Did you miss where I called the #3's Dinasours?

Just as you don't want to "hang around" unemployed people, because you feel they are a waste of your time, I do not want to buy leads, or hire telemarketers, because I believe they are a waste of my time.

If buying leads and hiring telemarketers were so great, then there would not be all the forums dedicated to how some here have been "ripped off" or "overcharged" or "sold a bill of goods". There would only be great things to say.

I do use "internet marketing" via the Teleconferences I have and the Webinars I put on.

You must be a sad, pathetic, individual, who only sees people as numbers?.

Never claimed to be an expert, and, no I don't 100% believe this "crap" as you put it.

I'm not sure why you would post about something you didn't believe in. Why even make a recommendation? In case it will work for someone else?

Maybe I misunderstood, if so, sorry.

This keeps you in control every step of the way, and builds you as the "expert" in this area to your clients. The web actually hampers your relationship, and your feeling is, "if I can't go to them, or have them mail me the paperwork personally, then what kind of service am I really providing?", and you have a valid point.

"...and you have a valid point."

I'm the one with a comprehension problem?

You must be a sad, pathetic, individual, who only sees people as numbers?.

You're right, I must be. I guess it's how I've been able to last and thrive in this business for over seventeen years, with so many satisfied and loyal clients.

Come to think of it, I don't ride the bus either.

The point is valid. Whether or not I agree with it or not, is something entirely different. I have only been in the business for 11 years, not as long as you.

I am able to post something I don't believe in because I realize what works for me may not work for someone else.

The whole intention of my original post was to break apart the "selling on web" idea into parts, to clarify how different agents use the internet.

The gentleman who mentored me, and got me in to the business, does not have a web presence, and has been in the business over 25 years. He does quite well for himself.

Obviously, you two are from the "its' my way or no way" school. What works for you works for you. That, in no way makes the assumption it is the only way. What I wanted to find out, without passing judgement, was to find out who did what.

That way I could learn, and possibly pick up some pointers.

What I put in my post was based on conversations I've had with agents, here in the Atlanta area, phone conversations I've had with agents, who've wanted me to run Norvax and Quoteit, etc. and agents who've been in the business, since back in the days of credit insurance, when they went from door-to-door, collecting $5/week from workers.

Other than your obvious low self-esteem, and wanting for some reason to try to humiliate me, what was your response based on?

By the way, I do ride the bus on days when I have office work to do, or have several client meetings at my office. I'd rather pay $3.50 round trip than $15.00. My house is three miles from a bus stop, which takes me to a train, and there is a shuttle bus at my destination train station, that takes me to the front door of my building. During that time I can make calls, make notes, read, etc.

On the days I have client visits, I use the car.

Now, unless you'd like to take another stab at me, which is fine, can we get back to the original question? I'd like to hear what other agents have to say. Like I said, if there's something I can pick up that would benefit me, I'd like to hear it.

I now see why John P. left the forum, and I may follow suit. It's been more and more personal stabs, and less and less professional interaction. Ironically, the barbs have come from those who profess to be experts, and better than others.

A claim I've never made, and I dare you to find and post.

I give my opinion, and admit when I am wrong. I also stand up for what I believe in, and what works for ME. Not for YOU.

I wasn't trying to be mean about it, Bob, just to clarify some things. You know I pretty much like everyone on this forum as regards the regulars, you included.

No harm, no foul. CA is just a different animal because they have lately been killing the carriers with major league fines so the agent is always at greater risk....you know, the stuff rolls down hill. Agents here nowadays need protection against client lawsuits as well as carriers (and that is scary).

Latest posts

Back