Semi-retired insurance option questions

Lynd Mccormick

I currently 63.5 and I’m about to retire or semi-retire. The privately owned company that I work for, based in Ohio, my branch is in Pa, has asked me to stay on 2 days a week. My original intension was to completely retire and get insurance through Penne.

The company that I work for has been great, and I’m seriously considering staying on for the 2 days a week, my concern is insurance. The more that I earn, the more it will cost me. With me going part time, the company would normally drop my insurance and all benefits. I was told that I’d have to work 30 hrs a week to get insurance, but from what a Penne broker told me, that’s a norm but not a law.

I’m looking for suggested alternatives to be insured, but me working part time doesn’t screw me financially. Are there proven options that you’ve seen out there?

I currently 63.5 and I’m about to retire or semi-retire. The privately owned company that I work for, based in Ohio, my branch is in Pa, has asked me to stay on 2 days a week. My original intension was to completely retire and get insurance through Penne.

The company that I work for has been great, and I’m seriously considering staying on for the 2 days a week, my concern is insurance. The more that I earn, the more it will cost me. With me going part time, the company would normally drop my insurance and all benefits. I was told that I’d have to work 30 hrs a week to get insurance, but from what a Penne broker told me, that’s a norm but not a law.

I’m looking for suggested alternatives to be insured, but me working part time doesn’t screw me financially. Are there proven options that you’ve seen out there?

Explain the situation, show them the math, ask for added compensation to make up for it.

As of Friday I was told that I have to average 3 days per week over the course of the year to get insurance through the company. Since I’m going to work full time through mid May, they offered to let me go 2 days a week for the remainder of the year, and they will provide insurance as a full time employee. I see this as a win!

hey offered to let me go 2 days a week for the remainder of the year, and they will provide insurance as a full time employee. I see this as a win!

Yes, it's a win. They obviously want you bad enough to make the exception for you.

Which means that they can continue to make that exception if they want you to continue working next year as well.

Back