Seminar Crowds

No I have not done it. I do not work directly with seniors, but with agents. I was gathering the info for one of my clients. Its something you should look into, Del Webb has multiple properties all across the US

I believe this is the first time I have heard the term "Life Settlement Advisor". I may be the only one who doesn't know specifically what that means.

If so, then for my benefit can you more accurately describe to me what a "Life Settlement Advisor" is and/or does, especially if you are not an insurance agent?

An LS advisor is another name for LS broker. I work with agents who have senior clients that have unwanted life policies. I work with a network of about 54 funders and find the highest bid for each policy. Usually I can get 40-60% of the face value for a policy. While most LS advisors are licensed in life, we are not active agents.

Costs to much money and i wouldnt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I like this post.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ys

Last edited:
I have found no greater waste of my time since being in the business than senior seminars. This has been my personal experience, nothing more.

I think they have potential if you're dealing with the recently retired and pre-retirement market. If you're dealing with the older crowd, no one wants to express any interest in front of their peers, as they're paranoid about anyone knowing their business. And seniors just can't make decisions. In the past couple of months, another agent and I have spoken in front of probably 200 seniors and we've had 3 leave their names and numbers, one of which was the wrong number and I saw where there had been some scribling by the phone number, so she obviously had a struggle trying to remember her phone number.

I have never put on a 'Seminar', where I didn't already know the name, address, phone number and a whole lot of info about the attendees before the event. Nobody gets out without filling out the info sheet and being talked to regarding setting an appointment. If you don't have a system in place it is a collossal waste of time and money.

Maybe we are not talking about the same type of event. Mine were done with invitation mailings, rsvp, calls to every rsvp reminding them of the event and getting any information they had not already provided in the rsvp. You have to weed out people who have attended before or at least discuss with them what information that was presented the first time they didn't understand, and try to set the appt.

Many of us have been successful at seminars, but it has to be well orchestrated. The only purpose of the seminar is to gather info and set one on one appts. If you are trying to educate and perform a public service you need to work for the government if you expect to be paid for it... ;)

Sounds like we were both talking to the same group of seniors.

Everyone I have done has been a total waste of my time. I couldn't have done a better job of describing the groups I have spoken to.

I've been doing seminars for about 6 months now. I only target seniors aged 50-80 for retirement planning.

As I've learned, there are many, many variables that go into success with these programs. I have a background in professional public speaking and entertainment, so I actually enjoy doing seminars over chasing down direct mail leads, cold calling, doorknocking, etc.

As I've written recently, I've had some seminars that were nonproductive. I don't blame this on myself or the seniors, rather it was my choice of target audience. I find that I'm much better closing the more affluent, white collar seniors (this is my background) who are more liberal in nature (like myself). I have more problems trying to relate to folks who, well....can't relate with me. I've learned lately that dinner seminars do work, and they work VERY well, but it all depends on who you're marketing to and what you're trying to do to help them.

I've been doing seminars for about 6 months now. I only target seniors aged 50-80 for retirement planning.

As I've learned, there are many, many variables that go into success with these programs. I have a background in professional public speaking and entertainment, so I actually enjoy doing seminars over chasing down direct mail leads, cold calling, doorknocking, etc.

As I've written recently, I've had some seminars that were nonproductive. I don't blame this on myself or the seniors, rather it was my choice of target audience. I find that I'm much better closing the more affluent, white collar seniors (this is my background) who are more liberal in nature (like myself). I have more problems trying to relate to folks who, well....can't relate with me. I've learned lately that dinner seminars do work, and they work VERY well, but it all depends on who you're marketing to and what you're trying to do to help them.

I too have an extensive background in public speaking and enjoy doing it. Use to give a talks to business executives regarding pending legislation in both DC and Jefferson City, MO and at local Chambers of Commerce around the state.

I can see where seminars would work better for you because of the topic you are discussing. I was discussing Medicare and Medicare Supplement insurance only. Not the most interesting, exciting or stimulating subject to discuss with them.

The most productive way for me to meet with several seniors is to have a client invite a few of their friends to their home. Usually not more than two or three. Friends who also felt they were paying too much for their Med Supp insurance. When a client does that it is almost a guaranteed sale.

My client tells their friends how much they are paying and that is usually all the encouragement they need to show up. I would always bring food. Another big enticement.

I tried Seminar Crowds a while back and got a .25% response. They promised a 1%, but it was no where near it. I will never use them again. Much better shops out there you can use.

Matt

.....The most productive way for me to meet with several seniors is to have a client invite a few of their friends to their home. Usually not more than two or three. Friends who also felt they were paying too much for their Med Supp insurance. When a client does that it is almost a guaranteed sale.

My client tells their friends how much they are paying and that is usually all the encouragement they need to show up. I would always bring food. Another big enticement.

This is a very good way of reaching seniors. The home environment is less threatening and formal. The people have an endorsement from a friend they trust. The costs are low!

I currently use Seminar Crowds and Acquire Direct. I sort of trade off on both of them since they have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I am doing a mailing with Seminar Crowds now for an August seminar. The last one I did with them in April had a 3.4% response. I filled up two dinners, an overflow date, and had enough on waiting lists for another dinner if I had wanted.

The seminar itself was not especially successful (so far) because the response was too good and I could not follow up properly. Also, this was a venue out of town for me and it was extremely hard arranging meetings and making the trips efficient and worth my while. I also changed up completely the way I do meetings in the middle and kind of missed my stride. None of this was Seminar Crowd's fault.

I found that every person I met with was within the qualifications I had specified -age and resources available for investing.

The high response was a combination of a well-written invitation, a new restaurant that people were curious about, and the market in the particular town wasn't quite as hard hit by marketing as many other places.

Incidentally, you will never do a mailing less than 50 cents a piece unless you do cheap looking postcards and mail out 20,000 of them. Expect to pay 60 cents for a decent looking mailing and for the premium lists.

Back