Seminar Help

sbg_ben

Super Genius
Hello,

I have come across an opportunity to do a seminar for the clients of a local financial planner. I believe they will just be 15 min long educational seminars. I'm having trouble knowing where to start and also trying to make sure that I remain compliant with everything that I am saying.

What is the best place to draw the material from to make up these seminars? I'm guessing somewhere on the CMS site.

I'm also quite frankly terrified of public speaking but I think I will be able to get over it. I plan to do some Dale Carnegie courses for that but can't get in until May and this opportunity begins in April.

Anyone who has done educational seminars - where did you draw the information for your presentation from?

Thanks,
Ben

How old are you? How long have you been involved in Medicare sales? What products, Medicare or otherwise, have you sold in the past. Phone sales or F2F? How did you get your prospects?

How old are you? How long have you been involved in Medicare sales? What products, Medicare or otherwise, have you sold in the past. Phone sales or F2F? How did you get your prospects?

I have been doing Medicare since the most recent AEP but somewhat shadowed an agent that did it as well over the last year. I sell small group, med supplements and PDP. Have sold only a few advantage plans so far. I also do some under 65 health.

Prospects come from people coming off of our groups that are aging into Medicare and from various other relationships we have in place. All my Medicare sales have been F2F so far.

Ben-
The CMS Website is still listing 2017 Info. Deductibles, Co-pays and such. I have used it this yr. in fact last month. My feeling is that the way CMS has it set up can be much more confusing, with that being said I will not use it again. My advise is that you do a short presentation to introduce yourself and to tell them about yourself and the services you have to offer, and then try and set up one on one presentation from there. I believe this would be the most effective way to help them and capture new clients. Good Luck Sport

I do these all the time. Great way to keep the the funnel full, with little to no expense to you.

Get on youtube. There are a ton of agents who put their slideshows up. Create a powerpoint. Make sure to include IRMAA info, because a lot of them will be either be dealing with IRMAA or need to know how to appeal.

Use the powerpoint rules. No more than 4 bullet points, with few words.

Should only last 10 minutes, with no questions. Because there will be a LOT of questions.

Take your laptop and an HDMI cord (make sure there is something to connect it to). Get there 30 minutes early to set up.

Be prepared for an onslaught of people who want to talk to you afterwards. My suggestion is to say "can I contact you tomorrow to discuss or schedule a meeting?". It gets a little overwhelming to have 10 people coming at you with questions all at once.

The goal of these is not to make any sales in 48 hours. These people already trust the FP with their money. You already have their trust. You need to sound smart, look pretty and get email addresses. (Ask the FP if you can have a copy of the sign in sheet or do your own. It depends on the SEC rules for them.) Also, EVERY time you sell one of these, remember to send a thank you email to the FP. They really appreciate it.

Good luck!

My seminars last an hour and a half there's no possible way you could do a Medicare supplement turning 65 seminar In under an hour and come off as an expert.

Yep - you screwed . . .

Hello,

I have come across an opportunity to do a seminar for the clients of a local financial planner. I believe they will just be 15 min long educational seminars. I'm having trouble knowing where to start and also trying to make sure that I remain compliant with everything that I am saying.

What is the best place to draw the material from to make up these seminars? I'm guessing somewhere on the CMS site.

I'm also quite frankly terrified of public speaking but I think I will be able to get over it. I plan to do some Dale Carnegie courses for that but can't get in until May and this opportunity begins in April.

Anyone who has done educational seminars - where did you draw the information for your presentation from?

Thanks,
Ben

Excellent advice . . .

I do these all the time. Great way to keep the the funnel full, with little to no expense to you.

Get on youtube. There are a ton of agents who put their slideshows up. Create a powerpoint. Make sure to include IRMAA info, because a lot of them will be either be dealing with IRMAA or need to know how to appeal.

Use the powerpoint rules. No more than 4 bullet points, with few words.

Should only last 10 minutes, with no questions. Because there will be a LOT of questions.

Take your laptop and an HDMI cord (make sure there is something to connect it to). Get there 30 minutes early to set up.

Be prepared for an onslaught of people who want to talk to you afterwards. My suggestion is to say "can I contact you tomorrow to discuss or schedule a meeting?". It gets a little overwhelming to have 10 people coming at you with questions all at once.

The goal of these is not to make any sales in 48 hours. These people already trust the FP with their money. You already have their trust. You need to sound smart, look pretty and get email addresses. (Ask the FP if you can have a copy of the sign in sheet or do your own. It depends on the SEC rules for them.) Also, EVERY time you sell one of these, remember to send a thank you email to the FP. They really appreciate it.

Good luck!

Ben, you are probably not going to knock it out of the park your first time at bat giving a 15 minute talk on Medicare.

My suggestion is to focus on what YOU bring to the table without sounding like a self centered jerk. You have 15 minutes to establish yourself as a credible resource and a likeable guy.

People look for three things in an agent. Someone that knows what they are doing, one who appears to be honest, and is likeable.

You can know all the answers and present them in a way as to seem honest but if they don't like you they won't buy.

You don't have time to become Dale Carnegie overnight but you can learn to overcome your fear of public speaking at a Toastmasters group.

The following links may help

How to Develop Confidence Speaking

5 Secrets to Looking Confident While Speaking in Public | HuffPost

How Even Introverts Can Be Confident Public Speakers

And watch TED videos

My seminars last an hour and a half there's no possible way you could do a Medicare supplement turning 65 seminar In under an hour and come off as an expert.

Next time you're in Dallas, give me a call. ;)

I do the same presentation to seminars that I do to individuals. And I am extremely confident that I look and sound like an expert in 15 minutes. At least that's what they tell me.

Most of your seminar partcipants are virgin prospects. He's speaking to people as a guest. Who was invited to speak to them by the person they trust with their MONEY. Totally different audience.

Back