Seminars

BGK

Good morning!

We haven't done a direct mail seminar for quite some time. We were sending out invites to 5000 people ages 55-75 (some of our clients and company "orphans" were thrown in there as well). We held the event at a mid level venue and offered two nights for attendance. The only people that were RSVPing and showing up were our clients and orphans. There is nothing wrong with client appreciation, but that's done at a different event!

We've had GREAT opportunities after we've been presenters for organizations (client's professional orgs/clubs/non profs). Attendance was strong and engaging and they asked insightful questions. Many people asked for appointments which lead to business. We do live in the midwest and it is considered rural.

My questions for "all y'all:"
are you doing direct mail seminars? Who are you mailing (and what's the logic behind it)? what venue are you using (upscale, laid back)? Are you serving food (comfort food, expensive food)? what time of day? Is there a certain topic that seems to be a lightning rod (general vs. specific)? Do most people RSVP or do you have a boat load of walk ins? Do you use a post card, envelope letter, or "fancy card" invite? what do you consider to be the most important aspect of the entire seminar process?

-BGK

Good morning!

We haven't done a direct mail seminar for quite some time. We were sending out invites to 5000 people ages 55-75 (some of our clients and company "orphans" were thrown in there as well). We held the event at a mid level venue and offered two nights for attendance. The only people that were RSVPing and showing up were our clients and orphans. There is nothing wrong with client appreciation, but that's done at a different event!

We've had GREAT opportunities after we've been presenters for organizations (client's professional orgs/clubs/non profs). Attendance was strong and engaging and they asked insightful questions. Many people asked for appointments which lead to business. We do live in the midwest and it is considered rural.

My questions for "all y'all:"
are you doing direct mail seminars? Who are you mailing (and what's the logic behind it)? what venue are you using (upscale, laid back)? Are you serving food (comfort food, expensive food)? what time of day? Is there a certain topic that seems to be a lightning rod (general vs. specific)? Do most people RSVP or do you have a boat load of walk ins? Do you use a post card, envelope letter, or "fancy card" invite? what do you consider to be the most important aspect of the entire seminar process?

-BGK

Personally, I think your marketing dollars can be used better elsewhere. If you're doing a client appreciation thing, great; but if you're looking for new leads it seems like a really expensive way to try to market.

Personally, I think your marketing dollars can be used better elsewhere. If you're doing a client appreciation thing, great; but if you're looking for new leads it seems like a really expensive way to try to market.

Obviously you do not do seminars.

Obviously you do not do seminars.

You would be correct, I do not do seminars. Considering costs, I'd need to write 2-3 pieces of business just to break even for the scope that the Op is describing every seminar.

There's a good chance that he's selling something that offers a huge commission per sale that justifies that expense. However, I could definitely find a better way to spend those funds to generate activity.

There are mulitiple ways to succeed. So with that, to each their own. If you'r more successful with seminars, please feel free to contribute some tips.. or not.

You would be correct, I do not do seminars. Considering costs, I'd need to write 2-3 pieces of business just to break even for the scope that the Op is describing every seminar.

There's a good chance that he's selling something that offers a huge commission per sale that justifies that expense. However, I could definitely find a better way to spend those funds to generate activity.

There are mulitiple ways to succeed. So with that, to each their own. If you'r more successful with seminars, please feel free to contribute some tips.. or not.

What are your ways to succeeding? No sarcasm intended. I'm interested.

I do not do seminars but I know some people who use them constantly. This would indicate that they can be successful. Seminars are not cheap to put on but neither is generating leads through direct mail. A good book on this topic is Seminars: The Emotional Dynamic~Advanced Presentation Skills for Financial Professionals by Frank Maselli.

Back