Seniors who Don't Qualify for Medicare??

I have a client who moved from out of the country years ago, but hasn't accrued the necessary 40 quarters and never will. I've given them the option of paying full premiums out-of-pocket, but then see that they may still be eligible for ACA coverage.

I've tried running the numbers but am getting no results. Have any suggestions or some clarification? There's a ton of information in the area that ACA is the way to go (with a subsidy), but no outline for how it works.

Do you know what they need to do to meet requirements?

Can you clarify running the numbers but getting no results?

Every time I have run into this, I submit an application and get the same results as someone under 65 if they truly are not eligible for (premium free) Medicare Part A. If they are 100% FPL to 400% FPL, they get a subsidy commiserate with their income (no Medicaid expansion in TN).

The only time I have had a problem is where the person was actually eligible for Medicare yet claimed not to be (got eligibility letter asking for proof they were not eligible for Medicare).

Run quotes at ages of 64 (since every age after that is the same price).

If not eligible for medicare, 65 and older, in the country legally, and have low enough income, then they get tax credits.

I have several clients like this scenario above

This is an interesting topic and may become more practical as business come back into America.

I have a client who moved from out of the country years ago, but hasn't accrued the necessary 40 quarters and never will. I've given them the option of paying full premiums out-of-pocket, but then see that they may still be eligible for ACA coverage.

I've tried running the numbers but am getting no results. Have any suggestions or some clarification? There's a ton of information in the area that ACA is the way to go (with a subsidy), but no outline for how it works.

Do you know what they need to do to meet requirements?

Has this person turned 65 yet?

They moved from Mexico and have only worked for 2 years. They turned 67 recently. I had heard ACA was the way to go, but couldn't get the numbers to run through my (captive agent) pricing engine. Everyone in my organization said it was impossible, but they don't know my friends at Insurance-Forums.. who always know better than any agent I ask locally. tee-hee.

Thank for making me a the best in my region!

did they have earnings in Mexico subject to Mexican social security? If so, maybe they can qualify for SS under some reciprocal arrangements (if the 2 years has given them 8 quarters).

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Texts/mexico.html

(Re full coverage option-something to check. Assuming they are US citizens and could get Parts A and B, you could look at enrolling them in that and then switching them to an MAPD in an appropriate time frame.

That option has some waits and also pricey deductibles.)

Last edited:
did they have earnings in Mexico subject to Mexican social security? If so, maybe they can qualify for SS under some reciprocal arrangements (if the 2 years has given them 8 quarters).

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Texts/mexico.html

(Re full coverage option-something to check. Assuming they are US citizens and could get Parts A and B, you could look at enrolling them in that and then switching them to an MAPD in an appropriate time frame.

That option has some waits and also pricey deductibles.)

LD, I vote for you to be the Official Forum Googler. I'm amazed at some of the stuff you dig up. :yes:

Many citizens have parents who haven't accumulated the 40 points to qualify for medicare...VUMI has an intl insurance plan called Special and Prime she might qualify for. There is underwriting and premium cost and requires a Latin America address...I mention because premiums are not too bad and sometimes a family member can help out with the premium. Commission is worth doing the work... and it helps that VUMI will waive the deductible if she has an accident and is hospitalized in Mex or USA. These plans are real Insurance and there is underwriting

Last edited:
Back