SEP for Parents Kicking Kid Off Plan?

dnelson530

Expert
I have a client that needs to remove her daughter from their ACA plan right away as they do not want to claim her on their 2018 taxes. Will the daughter (aged 21) be able to use this as a Loss Of Coverage SEP?

I have a client that needs to remove her daughter from their ACA plan right away as they do not want to claim her on their 2018 taxes. Will the daughter (aged 21) be able to use this as a Loss Of Coverage SEP?
does she still live with them......

She got a great job and they decided they don't want her income added to their return. I was thinking her parents have the ultimate say on who they cover and if they decided to end her coverage it's beyond her control and she should get an SEP. Of course, the answer from healthcare.gov depends on who you get on the phone - just like everything else. The carrier says they would go by whatever the marketplace decided. Wonderful.

Yes, she can use an SEP to get her own coverage as she is using her own tax return for 2018. BUT she may be referred to Medicaid because of her income. Before she does anything check her tax credit status using the Kaiser or any other program.

She got a great job and they decided they don't want her income added to their return. I was thinking her parents have the ultimate say on who they cover and if they decided to end her coverage it's beyond her control and she should get an SEP. Of course, the answer from healthcare.gov depends on who you get on the phone - just like everything else. The carrier says they would go by whatever the marketplace decided. Wonderful.

$14K is a great income???

Back