Separate Account COLI & BOLI

JMO Fan

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just curious: Who sells COLI/BOLI in separate accounts?

Is any of it non-variable, i.e., not linked to mutual funds, not VUL?

Do the carriers require agents to be licensed for variable products in order to sell these?

Is any of the non-variable separate account COLI also non-BOLI, i.e., sold to non-bank companies?

Just curious: Who sells COLI/BOLI in separate accounts?

Is any of it non-variable, i.e., not linked to mutual funds, not VUL?

Do the carriers require agents to be licensed for variable products in order to sell these?

Is any of the non-variable separate account COLI also non-BOLI, i.e., sold to non-bank companies?

Separate account on a non-variable product...I've never known that to be the case.

I have run into companies that sell their BOLI product (fixed) through a subsidiary (so it wasn't part of the main company's general account), but it wasn't a separate account.

As far as a I know companies with variable products require a securities registration, or an RIA.

My experience has been BOLI products are frequently fixed products (if the company has a specific product they have set aside as BOLI)

Specifically set aside COLI products tend to be variable. But, a lot of companies make other whole life or UL contracts available for COLI sale (i.e. simplified or guaranteed issue depending on lives, HECV whole life, and surrender period free UL).

Last edited:
Back