Series 65 at my Age?

inreverse

Guru
100+ Post Club
MN
I am 62, ins. only license. Selling annuities for the past year and a half so I still have a lot to learn. I have been told that with the DOL changes I should get my
65. I am planning on retirement 4-5 years down the road, and there seems to be many additional expenses that go with with the RIA- 65 plan. I am not sure I can get enough AUM to make it worth it. Am I missing something? Seriously thinking about going back to FE. I would appreciate your feedback.

I wouldn't.

For guys just starting out, it takes a few years of gathering assets to have enough to make a living. And these are guys who are out their busy prospecting all day, or at least should be. Now granted they don't have the existing client base you have, but are you going to put in the effort to make it work?

You'll be seeing the pay off right about the time you are ready to retire and step away. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

The question I would ask myself is are you going to fully retire? If you are still going to work a few hours a day I would do it. Even if you added 5 mill in assets in 4 years that would be a great source of income for maybe a few hours a day of work.

Back