Setting Up an Agency

///MJay

Expert
Hello,

There is so much great info on the site thank you to every one for all the great insights to this business. I have a quick question. I work for a life company that I am a captive agent for. This company also has an agency and brokerage that we sell other carriers products (they get a cut too). For life production I am a w-2, for agency 1099. My question is could I set up my own company or agency and take full advantage of the 1099 side of things? When setting up such a venture what are some good resources to use? Would an LLC work? Those are the types of things I am wondering.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Hello,

There is so much great info on the site thank you to every one for all the great insights to this business. I have a quick question. I work for a life company that I am a captive agent for. This company also has an agency and brokerage that we sell other carriers products (they get a cut too). For life production I am a w-2, for agency 1099. My question is could I set up my own company or agency and take full advantage of the 1099 side of things? When setting up such a venture what are some good resources to use? Would an LLC work? Those are the types of things I am wondering.

Thanks in advance

Jason

I think someone else on here had the exact same situation you did.

There is really no tax advantage to incorporating unless you have large earnings and plan on w2ing yourself off of it. When you're getting 1099'd you can write off expenses such as phone, mileage, marketing, office space, etc, but only if you're not being reimbursed for it. Those deductions are all the same whether your an LLC or a sole prop. If you're getting 1099'd on more than $40k/year then you should talk to an accountant, but odds are they'll just tell you that unless you quit your w2 job and make enough money to pay yourself a salary out of the corporation you probably wont have any real tax advantages (other than deducting the cost of incorporating).

What agency do you work for? Did someone tell you there are advantages to incorporating?

Hello,

Thanks in advance

Jason

This would really depend upon your relationship with your agency/GA. Without additional information about the specifics of your relationship, your question is difficult to answer.

Back