Shelter Insurance - Real Deal?

MikeJ

Expert
Good Afternoon!

I'm new to the forum, and just started reading it over the past couple of months - it's a great site - very informational.

Some Background:

My background was retail 20 years ago, and then I was recruited by MetLife P&C. I did great my 1st year, even though I was only mid-twenties and didn't know anything about anything. Needless to say, in my 2nd year the rates shot sky-high and I bailed for an independent. There it degenerated into high-risk SR22 chop-shop biz, so I left for Federal IT sales eight years ago. I really do not like the 8-5 grind, and feel at my age that I would like to be involved in something a little entrepreneurial, but with health benefits provided - and necessary!!

My thinking is that a stable P&C co. with a real opportunity could be just the ticket. My problem has been that all the major co's look awful - SF, Allstate, Farmers etc. for new/industry returning agents. However; Shelter has an opening here, and it's base, commission & benefits. Does anyone have a background with them you could share?

I have heard from recruiters concerning Nationwide, Allstate, Country Financial & MassMutual (life), but their opportunities all look shaky to say the least. In fact, MassMutual seems like it would be a virtual suicide move!!

So any info regarding Shelter would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Back